Friday, October 25, 2013

5 Bookish things that annoy me

I've noticed that the older I get the less patience I have with certain things. Here are 5 bookish things that have annoyed the crap out of me lately:


5. No Table of Content in your E-Book-Why for the love of all that's good do authors and publishers leave out the table of contents? While this mainly happens with self published authors, I've seen it on the big 6/5 books as well. I hate not knowing how long a book is going to be!

4. No Paragraph breaks-Maybe it's just me, but why is it so hard to have real paragraph breaks in e-books? I miss them.

3. Poor Editing- I am not a grammar nazi. If I notice your mistakes, you know it's noticeable to everyone. I was reading a really cute NA book by a popular author but the grammar was so awful that I had to stop reading it.  Yes, it was that painful.

2. No increased font sizes or unable to switch the background color-I've become a quirky e-book reader. I hate it when the font size is tiny and the only other option is to have it super-sized. I read a lot at night. For some reason, I've gravitated towards liking the black background w/white font option and I'm always amazed when a book doesn't allow it.

1.  Prologues- Before my recent historical romance binge I didn't understand why Tasha from Truth, Beauty, Freedom & Books disliked them so much. Now I totally get it. Is it just me or do 99% of all historical romances have them? They truly are either way better then the rest of the book or so awful it's hard to get to the rest of the book. Also, I always forget what year/month the prologue is set in, so by the time I get to chapter one I have to click back to the beginning of the prologue to see how many (if any) years have passed from one to another.