Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Review: Cup of Joe by Anita Ensal


Title: A Cup Of Joe 
Author: Anita Ensal 
Genre: Science Fiction  
Number of Pages: 71
Publisher: Self Published
Source: Author







When Emily smiles at David, the Chosen One, as if he’s a normal person, his sheltered existence plunges into terror and deception, forcing him to see that the world might not be as perfect as he’s always believed. If the choice is between love or perfection, which would you choose?

A Cup of Joe was just what the doctor ordered to get me out of my semi-reading funk that I was in this past week. I read it in one sitting, and it's been such a long time since I've done that to any book or novella that I was stunned!  I was especially stunned because I wasn't sure I would like this  one by Gini Koch's alter ego. I was afraid it would be too much on the sci fi side for me, but as usual I was proven wrong.

A Cup of Joe takes place in the future, and to make things easier humans developed a way for everything to be done for them. The world is divided into class systems. At the very top is the Chosen One~the ones who will carry on the next generation, then there are the programmers, and it goes down from there.  David was thrilled to be a Chosen One, but one day when he was outside a women smiled at him, and he was captivated. He was so used to people automatically adoring him that it had been a really long time since someone had done something as simple as give him a genuine smile. He follows her, and discovers her name is Emily and after talking with her discovers not everything is as good as what he has been led to believe it is. He works with Emily to discover what is real and not real.

Everything develops really quickly, and what I liked was that there was just enough romance to keep me interested in the story and enough twists and turns and world building to keep me guessing as to what would happen to David and Emily. I really liked that this was told from a males pov and how David changed from being someone who was naive to someone who had some guts-even though it scared the crap out of him to do have said guts. This was just a nice, quick read that was over much too soon.


Buy Links:  Amazon | B & N | Smashwords 

*disclaimer: I volunteer for the author, and was not paid for this review.*