Monday, January 2, 2012

Review: Head Rush by Carolyn Crane





Title: Head Rush
Author: Carolyn Crane
Genre: Urban Fantasy 
Series: Disillusionist #3
Publisher: Samhain
Source: My Copy 







 In an attempt to put her unhappy past behind her, Justine Jones throws herself into nursing school and planning her wedding to Otto Sanchez, the man of her dreams. But something is off. Random details aren’tadding up…and is it her imagination, or are her friends and fiancĂ© keeping secrets from her? And what’s with this strange sense of unease, and her odd new headaches?Justine tries to stay upbeat as Midcity cowers under martial law, sleepwalking cannibals, and a mysterious rash of paranormal copycat violence, but her search for answers leads her into the most dangerous mindgame yet.With the help of unlikely allies, including her paranoid dad and best frenemy Simon, Justine fights her ultimate foe…and unravels the most startling mystery of all.This book contains high-speed rollerblade chases, a mysterious green dashboard ornament, a father of the bride in full hazmat gear and a delicious kebab. (goodreads.com)


The Disillusionist Series is one of my all time favorites and Packard is a beloved book boyfriend. The ending of Double Cross (book Two) prompted to have the Double Cross Curse Meter because it was such a cliff hanger. Well, Head Rush was well worth the wait and lived up to all of my expectations and was a great way to ring in the New Year.

Justine is one of my favorite heroines. She's not a katana yielding, demon hunting girl but someone who has reluctantly joined a group of highcaps-people who have special powers and the group she's in use them to help reform those who have done horrible things to other people. In this book Justine is on her own, and is about to marry Otto. I love how she has all these doubts about , but still tries to stay true to herself to first and instead of just going with the flow fights to figure out if her doubts are right or not.

I didn't think this would be possible, but I found myself feeling sorry for Otto. He tries so hard, but just doesn't get it. As soon as I found myself having a little sympathy for him though, I would remind myself of his past actions and whisper: "Remember Packard, C. You don't like this guy." and then I would yell at Justine a little bit for taking so long to finally get it. My heart was breaking through out this story as Justine grappled with everything. Fortunately there was Simon for comic relief. He was wonderful. I loved how he wanted to be a bridesmaid, and his choice of outfit (top hat with leather straps for a shirt) just cracked me up. I also liked how Shelby, Justine's best disillusionist friend was there for her, but helped to open her eyes as well.  The inclusion of Justine's friends from where she worked in Mind Games was nice as well. I liked how all the secondary characters from past books made an appearance in this one. One nice addition to this series was Justine's father. He's mentioned in the other books, but we finally get to meet him in Head Rush. I loved how he was there for his daughter despite his fear of well, almost everything.

The ending had me crying just a bit a lot. Questions were answered, puzzles solved, and Justine finally got the ending she deserved.  A certain character who lived in a kebab restaurant is now at the top of my book boyfriends list. He is just so sigh worthy I could talk about him forever, but want everyone to discover his deliciousness for themselves. This series is one that has an earned a permanent spot on my keeper shelf.

Favorite Quotes: 

.."But when he smiles, there's this lightness to him, like when you crack a rock and a gem shines out. Now he just looks lost."

.."And I keep hoping things will be right again. It's stupid, of course I know that. And I'll keep being stupid, Justine. I'll keep being stupid because I love you."






Barrons Hero Hotness Meter: Off the Charts High!
Curran Crush Meter:  Off the Charts High!
Rhiannon Kick Ass Heroine Meter: High 
Martini Sigh Meter: Off the Charts High!  
Finn Sidekick Meter: Off the Charts High! 
Double Cross Swear Meter: High! 
Sizzle Meter: High*

*disclaimer: It was high between the guy I really loved, and just ok between the one I didn't, lol*