Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Review: The Last Slayer by Nadia Lee



Title: The Last Slayer 
Author: Nadia Lee 
Genre: Urban Fantasy 
Series: Heartstone #1 
Publisher:Carina Press
Number of Pages: E Book (102,000 words) 
Source: Netgalley




 

Ashera del Cid is a talented demon hunter, but when she kills a demigod's pet dragon, the hunter becomes the hunted. Her only potential ally is Ramiel, a sexy-as-hell demon. Now the two must work together to battle dragons and demigods...and the chemistry crackling between them.Ramiel has his own reasons for offering Ashera his protection. He knows her true identity and the real reason the demigods want her dead. What he can't predict is how she'll react when she discovers he knew who she was all along...Ashera is shocked to discover that she is the only daughter of the last slayer. To claim her destiny, she and Ramiel must join forces to face down danger and outwit their enemies. Only then will she be able to truly accept her legacy...


The Last Slayer is a little bit Urban Fantasy, a little bit Paranormal Romance, a little bit Fantasy and a lot of beautiful world building.

Ashera is one tough heroine. What I really liked about her is that while she might have teamed up with Ramiel, she didn't trust him and still did things her own way. She also wasn't afraid to fight whatever came her way. I loved how she got into the thick of things and didn't whine about it. Ramiel intrigued me because it took me awhile to figure out what supernatural group he belonged to and I liked that. As soon as I thought I had everything figured out about him there was a twist at the end I didn't see coming. As much as I loved both of these two, I had a hard time feeling a romantic connection to them. It just seemed like Ashera kept going back and forth so much on her feelings for him that it made it hard for me. However, I think a large part of this has to do with these innocent looking animals: 

They would not leave me alone while I read the first part of the book. Every time I sat down to read, she would want to play and I think I lost a lot of the chemistry between Ramiel and Ashera because of all the distractions thrown my way.


The second half of the book really drew me into the story. When Ashera arrived at Ramiel's everything just came alive for me. I loved the descriptions of his house, and I found myself really wanting a fairy dragon of my own. Toshi had me laughing out loud a lot. I just loved the world that Ashera discovers in the second part of the book and it has me looking forward to the next book.