Friday, June 3, 2011

Review: Second Sight by Sherry Fickilin

   
Title: Second Sight
Author: Sherry D. Ficklin
Genre: Young Adult
Series: Gods of Fate, book 2 
Publisher: Dragonfly 
Number of Pages: 186 (according to goodreads, but my copy had 215)
Source: Sent to me by the author




 
When the man Grace Archer loves is pulled into the Underworld, she will stop at nothing to get him back. Her quest is complicated by the fallen god Samael, who is on the loose with a dangerous relic that puts all the immortals in jeopardy. With her powers on the fritz, Grace must help track down Samael and retrieve the deadly Eye of Hera before any more gods fall victim to his madness. Daughter of the Greek Goddess Pandora and the Greek God Prometheus, Grace must dig deep to find the power she needs to infiltrate Hades and convince the God of the Dead to release Chris. But when you make a bargain with the devil, you pay with your soul.(from goodreads)


Second Sight is book two in the Gods of Fate Series, and it could be read as a stand alone, but  I really recommend that you read the first book in the series, Foresight first. When I first started reading this I admit that  I was a little lost because I had forgotten so much from the first book. By the third chapter though with the help of a little recapping, everything came back to me and I was able to really enjoy the book-whereas in the first chapter I was worried that I had forgotten too much to enjoy it properly.  (Here is my review of book one.)

What I liked most about this book was all the mythology that was involved in the storyline. I've always loved the Greek Gods and I enjoyed seeing them come to life. There's Hades-who is always the bad guy, Prometheus-who you just aren't sure what side he's on, Apollo, whose just out for himself and a host of other great Gods.  I loved how they all interacted with Grace and at the same time allowed her to make her own decisions. 

In the first book, Grace was just finding out what her powers were and who to trust and in this book she's finding her way again, but for different reasons.  I really liked how even though she's still making some decisions in the heat of the moment and they aren't always smart decisions, she believes in them and isn't swayed by those around her...which really gets her into trouble at times, but I have to say I would have made the same choices she did.  In the first book, she's all dreamy eyed over Chris, and while  I really liked him in then, he kind of annoyed me in this book. I of course, wanted her to like the guy who is all wrong for her-James. He is kind of her mentor in her powers. He teaches her how to use them and channel them in the right way. He's tough on Grace, but it's because he needs to be. I think he's just better for Grace then Chris, but that's just me. :)  


The only problem I had with this book was that I read it on my computer, and I think I would've enjoyed more had I been able to read it on my Kindle..and for some reason the red font that was used to tell me I had an Advance Review Copy really distracted me at times. However, those two minor problems aside, I had this read in under two hours and really enjoyed seeing how much the authors writing has grown since book one.