Sunday, September 26, 2010

Review: Foresight by Sherry Ficklin


Title: Foresight
Author: Sherry D. Ficklin
Genre: Young Adult 
Series: The Gods of Fate, book one
Publisher: Dragon Fly Publishing 
*Sent to me from the author to read*
 Release date: July 10, 2010






When I started this book I was in something of a book funk.  It seemed like all of the books I owned had some elements of fantasy in them, and I was ready for a change. However, the night I started this I wasn't feeling good, and just wanted something light and fun to read. So even though this book had fantasy in it, I picked it up, thinking: "I'll just give it a try." I really didn't think I'd be able to finish it because the last 3 books I picked up, I put right back down before page 50.   I can't tell you what made me pick up this book-except when I did pick it up, I couldn't put it down-I read it in one sitting!

Grace Archer just wants to get through high school and get on with her life. When she's at her high school graduation the last thing she expects is ninja like warriors who attack not only her, but her Aunt Phoenix. She's saved from the attack by a guy named Chris, who just happens to be a fae. Grace is shocked to learn that her Aunt is also a fae, and  her mother was really a demigod-Pandora.  It turns out that that the whole box thing was true except that was an urn, not a box and Pandora hid it, making it so that Grace was the only one who could find it. The person who is after after Grace, the powerful Lilith,  won't stop until she has Pandora's urn so they can have the powers that are in it and release them on Earth.  Along the way from escaping from Lilith, Grace discovers that she has some pretty cool powers, and even though she has other things to focus on-like saving the world and controlling her new found powers, she finds herself falling for Chris-the one boy who she shouldn't be falling for.


While the romance part of the book was predictable, one of the most refreshing things about this book was that it was all the Greek Mythology in it. I'm all for ways to get the Young Adult crowd into mythology-even it takes a lot of teen romance angst. I really liked the appearances of a couple of the Greek Gods as side characters in the book-they had me laughing with their antics. This books is definitely written more for the YA audience then adults, and I really liked that because it seems like so few YA books are these days. This book shows a lot of promise, and I look forward to reading other books by Sherry Ficklin.

Be sure to come back tomorrow when I interview Sherry Ficklin and she gives away some cool swag!