Saturday, April 2, 2011

ARC Review: Rock Hard by Olivia Cunning


Title: Rock Hard
Author: Olivia Cunning
Genre: Erotica/Contemporary Romance
Series: Sinners, book 2
Publisher: Sourcebooks
Number of Pages: 424
Source: Sent to me by the publisher to read






The Sinners are my favorite fictional rock band. They just pull at the heartstrings while being incredibly hot and sexy. With each book I find myself having a new favorite member. This book it's Jace. I can't wait to find out more about him, but I am getting ahead of myself. Rock Hard is Sed's story, and honestly I didn't know how he was going to be likable because he was such a jerk in the first book. He's still a jerk, but a nice jerk because his jerkish ways are meant to be helpful, they just come out all wrong.
 
Sed and Jessica are a much more complex couple then Brian and Myrna were in book one. These two have a past, and it has messed both of them up. Sed and Jessica were engaged to be married, and she broke it off because when she got into law school Sed demanded she choose between him or school. Jessica didn't want to choose between the two, but knew she couldn't have him controlling her life so she choose law school. Jessica doesn't know it, but when she broke up with Sed she's the reason he turned into a huge jerk and kept breaking Brian's heart by stealing the girls he was interested in. Sed doesn't realize it, but Jessica hasn't been able to get over him. She has guys falling all over themselves to be with her in law school, but she can't stop thinking about Sed.
 
They happen to meet up again in Las Vegas where the Sinners are touring and Jessica is working in a  strip club to make money for law school because she wasn't able to get a paid internship in a law firm. This was the first of many "What in the heck were you thinking Jessica?" moments I had with her. There were so many actions of hers that I didn't agree with that it made it really hard for me to like her. It was the same with Sed. Even though we find out why he's such a jerk, I never warmed up to him like I did to Brian. 
 
While these two weren't my favorite couple what I loved more then the actual romance was the friendship and banter between the band members. When the Sinners are on tour, it's like we are there with them. I love how even though they might have issues with each other, no body else can mess with them. I also really liked the band they were headlining for and hope we get to see more of Dare and Max. I so wouldn't mind a spin off series! As for band members Trey and Jace are clearly miles ahead of everyone else for being my favorites. Jace because he's so mysterious and Trey..just because he's Trey. 
 
Backstage Pass is still my favorite of the books, but with Rock Hard we got to see more of the personalities of the band members, which I loved. I just can't seem to get these Rockers out of my system. I can't wait to read each band members book.
 
Curran Crush Meter: Low
Barrons Hero Hotness Meter: High
Martini Sigh Meter: Low
Ethan/Merit Sizzle Meter: Medium