Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Review: Once Upon A Time in Space by Heather Massey



Title: Once Upon A Time In Space
Author: Heather Massey 
Genre: Sci Fi Romance/Erotica 
Publisher: Red Sage 
Number of Pages: N/A (E Book) 
Source: Sent to me by the author to read









 

 In the sea of stars, an epic love story is about to begin...
Earth is dying. Nick Venture, the last living descendant of Christopher Columbus, embarks on a dangerous mission to find a new planet and save humanity. This places him on a collision course with Raquel Donovan, the deadliest space pirate in the galaxy. Raquel lives for one purpose: revenge against a horrible demon from her past. When an attempt to hijack Nick’s starship backfires, Raquel becomes his protector in order to avoid capture by the tyrannical Space Defense Corps. Nick and Raquel are irresistibly drawn to one another despite the forbidden nature of their attraction. But the conflicted pirate’s deepest secret could tear the couple apart even as humanity’s time runs out…
 



Sci Fi Romance is a new genre for me. I have to say that I am really starting to like this genre. The heroines are strong and kick ass and are very independent.
 
I have to be honest-I expected a tad more romance and a lot more of space smex; however, the story managed to hold my interest even when Nick kept acting like an idiot around Raquel. (He moaned quite a lot over why she didn't feel the same way about him that he did about her.) This is going to sound weird-but after awhile I realized I kinda of liked Nick acting like an idiot about Raquel instead of the other way around. It's always nice when the guys do the chasing of the girl-and Raquel gave this guy quite a chase.

Nick was such a unique character. He was thrown into a leadership role in a job that he had no experience in. He started out being really unsure of himself, and felt like asking for help would diminish his role as captain. He gradually came to listen to his crew and they came to respect him much more for it in the long run. The crew members in this book are what kept me reading when I felt like Nick and Raquel should have spent much more time together then what they did. Their slang, like Uncle Goddamn had me rolling. I am somehow going to have to work that phrase into my vocabulary!  While I loved the crew, Nick and Raquel were harder to like. Their stubbornness was just too much at times. I did gradually come to like them and understood why they acted the way they did-but it took awhile. I'm not sure how much of  how I felt about Nick and Raquel is because I read this book on my computer and not my kindle, rather then the actual chemistry between the two. Sometimes I think reading ebooks this way makes it harder to enjoy the story being told.


The secondary storyline of saving Earth was an interesting one. I liked how it was thrown in there without being preachy. It's just goes to show what could happen in a not so distant future if we don't stop changing our ways and take better care of our planet. It was just a nice refreshing storyline then just having a romance happen.


Bottom line: It was a nice change of pace from the erotica novellas I usually read.


Favorite Quote:
Bewitched with pleasure, she gasped for air. Nick‟s lips pressed against the inner curve of her left breast—a warm, sweet nuzzling. She felt his body shifting as he tried to maneuver between her legs. The telltale rush of blood heralded an orgasm. It felt good.Too good, clamored the warnings in her head. Ecstasy she didn‟t deserve was clouding her judgment.


Curran Crush Meter: Low (sorry Nick)
Barrons Hero Hotness Meter: Low
Rhiannon Kick Ass Heroine Meter: High
Martini Sigh Meter: Medium
Ethan/Merit Sizzle Meter: Medium