Monday, April 4, 2011

ARC Review: Alien in the Family by Gini Koch


Title: Alien In The Family
Author: Gini Koch
Genre: Sci Fi Romance
Series: Katherine "kitty" Katt #3
Publisher: Daw
Number of Pages: 424
Source: Sent to me by the publisher to read







Super-Being Exterminator Kitty Katt and the Alpha Centaurian she loves, Jeff Martini, should be finalizing their wedding plans. But that was before she discovers Jeff is in line to become Emperor back on his home world. Kitty knows she is everything a royal family wouldn't approve of, and is bracing herself for the worst. As it turns out, the royal family is just the beginning. Especially when extraterrestrial Amazonian terrorists are determined to start and end Kitty and Jeff's nuptial festivities with a bang. (from Goodreads.com)


I'm going to try to be objective in my review, but by now everyone knows how much I love JeffMartini, this series, so I'm not sure how objective it will be.

One of the best things I love about this series is all the laugh out loud moments there are with Kitty and Martini and the rest of the gang.  Sure, Kitty can be a bit,  ok, way over the top at times, but it's what makes her fun and a unlike any heroine  I've ever seen.  Kitty seems to be rubbing off on Jeff, because he had a lot of great one liners as well in this book.  These two are such a great couple. I love that they are actually together and can't keep apart-although I have to admit that Jeff carrying her around all the time got a little old-or maybe I was just jealous of Kitty.

Next to Kitty and Martini my next favorite character is Reader. I loved seeing the friendship between him and Kitty grow. Gower and Martini just cracked me up with how jealous they got of those two. Speaking of jealously...Chuckie had me shaking my head over and over again. I am firmly on Team Martini, so maybe that had something to do with my almost dislike of him. I just thought he was a little too flirty with Kitty-he had has chance and blew it!

In every series there always seems to be one book that sets up the rest of the series, and Alien In the Family seemed to be that book for this series. There were a lot of new characters introduced in the first half of the book and a lot of back story that had to be told to catch people up to speed with the storyline and to set up the storyline for the new characters. It was a lot to get through, but it was worth it because I loved the second half of the book. There was so much action! Once the introduction of the new characters was over, I began to really like them. I can't wait to see a few of them in future books. My favorite of all the new characters were the Poofs. What's a poof you ask? You'll just have to read the book to find out, because they are just the cutest things ever. 

Reading Alien In The Family was like returning to old friends. They made me laugh, cry and shake my head.  I can't wait for the next book in this series, Alien Proliferation to come out in December!

Curran Crush Meter: Off the Charts!
Martini Sigh Meter: Well, since this is named after Jeff Martini, it has to be: Off the Charts
Barrons Hero Hotness Meter: Super Duper High
Ethan/Merit Sizzle Meter: High
Sidekick Meter: High