Saturday, October 23, 2010

Review: Greywalker by Kat Richardson


Title: Greywalker
Author: Kat Richardson 
Genre: Urban Fantasy 
Series: Greywalker #1
Number of pages 352



 




I really wanted to like this book, and I think I'm in the minority when I say it just didn't hold my attention. I'm still not sure why. The characters were great, the writing was wonderful, but I found myself skimming most of the book to get through it. 

Harper Blaine is a P.I. when she has an accident that allows her to see into the Grey-a place where ghosts, vampires and other creatures lurk. The main problem I had with this book was that it took almost 154 pages to describe what the Grey was and why Harper was afraid of it. By the time vampires were introduced, I was bored with the story.This book was recommended to me by Jessica from The Spinecracker because I was on an anti-romance book kick, but do you know what I discovered? I need just a dash of romance in books for me to get through them-as much as I'd like to think otherwise, I'm a romance addict.

What I did like about the story was the depth of writing surrounding the characters. I loved Harper. She was smart, tough and wasn't afraid to take on stuff that scared the crap out of her. There were a host of side characters-Cameron, the missing person she's assigned to investigate, Chaos, her cute little ferret and Ben/Mara who help Harper figure out what the Grey is. All of the side characters were wonderful additions to the story and made a great support system for Harper.

I really recommend this book for people who want to try Urban Fantasy but have been afraid to jump in it. It's a great introduction to it and reads more like a mystery with UF elements in it. 

Disclaimer: I read this during my book funk and it took an unheard of one week for me to finish it.