Sunday, October 24, 2010

Review: Dead, Undead and Somewhere In Between by J.A. Saare


Title: Dead, Undead and Somewhere In Between
Author: J.A. Saare
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Number of Pages: 222











This is one of those books where when I finished it, I called myself ten kinds of fool for not reading it sooner. I also sat there stunned for about 10 minutes as I digested that ending. OMG-seriously?!!
 
Rhiannon is a bartender and has a gift that she doesn't particularly care for: she can see the dead. She's a necromancer and is ignorant of the gifts that her talent holds. She's been able to keep her gift a secret, but it slowly gets out and she gets involved in the world of vampires when Disco, a swoon-worthy, drool over, gorgeous vampire asks for her help in solving a few missing vampire cases that they can't solve. Rhiannon doesn't really want to help the vampires out-she's happy just being a bartender, but it turns out Disco doesn't take no for an answer, and her talents are unique and she's the only one who can help them out. The situation gets worse when Rhiannon and Disco find out that someone is also killing the vampires to steal their hearts. They have to find out who is doing it and why.

When I first saw reviews for this book floating around, I thought: "not another vampire romance book!" but you know what? This really isn't your typical vampire romance. It's more about solving a mystery, and Rhiannon and Disco have such great chemistry together that the romance just falls into place before you know what is happening. Rhiannon is one of those heroines who is a smart ass, tough and can hold her own in any given situation. I really liked that she didn't make any apologizes for who she was.   What I liked about Disco was that he let her be who she was while at the same time find out why Rhiannon was the way she was-but he did it through gaining her trust and wasn't sneaky about it like so many heroes can be. While I liked Rhiannon-she's one of my favorite heroines, I can't tell you the number of times I wanted to tell Rhiannon to be nicer to Disco and to let him in a little more! 

While parts of the book are a little predictable, the ending totally threw me for a loop and had me staring at the computer screen in shocked disbelief for a couple of minutes. I may have cursed a time or two.(or five.)  This is one of those books that stays with you long after you read it while you try to figure out what happens in book two. I gave this a rating of 4/5 stars on goodreads-any book that makes me forget about lunch is worthy of a 4 star rating! A big thank you to Bells from Hanging With Bells for recommending this book to me. I almost forgot-I'm introducing a new meter: The Rhiannon kick ass heroine meter...

Favorite quote:
Nothing I do will reverse the past.And I’m fortunate, because someone else has come into my life.” He leaned across the sofa, moving closer. Then he whispered, “If her death taught me anything, it’s this. Cherish the time you have. Don’t worry about tomorrow. Right now is all we are promised.” Those words were my undoing. I closed the distance, twisting my body, clasping my hands behind his neck. Our lips came together, his tongue darted inside my mouth,and I met each thrust, moaning against his lips, pulling his face closer,entwining my fingers in his hair.


Curran Crush Meter: High
Sigh Meter: High
Barrons Hero Hotness Meter: High 
Ethan/Merit Sizzle Meter: High 
Double Cross Curse Meter: High (I rated it high because of the cursing that came b/c of the ending
Rhiannon Kick Ass Heroine Meter: High