Friday, October 22, 2010

Marked by P.C. & Kristin Cast


Title: Marked
Author: P.C. & Kristin Cast
Genre: Young Adult Paranormal Romance
Series: House of Night, #1









In Marked, Zoey Redbird is your typical teenager until without warning she is marked as a fledgling vampire.When fledgling vampires are marked, they are sent to the House of Night to help them survive the process of becoming an adult vampire-not everyone who is marked survives this process.  The House of Night is your typical school except it's run by vampires and classes start at 8:00pm instead of 8:00am.

Zoey just wants to fit in at her new school, but it's not easy because it turns out that her mark isn't like everyone elses. On her way to the House of Night, she was in a small accident and when she awoke her mark was filled in-like an adult vampires mark. Luckily for Zoey she has some good friends to help her through this whole process. There is Stevie Ray, her lovable hill billy roommate, Damien, Shaunee and Erin. The four of them are there for Zoey when things get dicey with Aphrodite, the leader of the Dark Daughters, the elite group in school.  Zoey has managed to get on Aphrodite's bad side by catching the attention of her ex boyfriend Erik Night and by becoming Neferet's-the high priestess and principal of the school new favorite.How is a girl supposed to embrace her destiny while trying to deal with all the issues of being a teenager? 

This was a great introductory book to the series, and despite the fact that I had a lot of unanswered questions about stuff like: Why did the vampires come out? Why do they have their own school? How does one become a High Priestess? I found myself devouring this book and looking forward to the other books in the series. There are some great lessons that are snuck in the book: it's ok to be yourself, don't be afraid to be different, drinking and drugs are bad. I thought that Zoey whined a lot about everything that came her way, and what really made the book enjoyable for me were her friends. They made me laugh out loud and I liked how they supported each other through thick and thin. This is a great book to read if you are looking for something light and fun.I have to admit though, while I enjoyed this book it started my book funk b/c it while I liked it, I didn't love it, and I started judging the books after this one a bit harder...