Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Unexpected Treasure: BBAW Day 3


I can't believe we're already on day three of Book Blogger Appreciation Week! If you haven't joined in all the fun yet, what are you waiting for? It's not too late! Go to their webpage to see what all the fuss is about. Todays writing prompt is: 

Unexpected Treasure
We invite you to share with us a book or genre you tried due to the influence of another blogger.  What made you cave in to try something new and what was the experience like?

 This is an easy one! Before I started blogging I had never heard of the genre Urban Fantasy. I was totally a Paranormal Romance, Historical Romance, Chick Lit kind of girl.  I am pretty sure I am in debt to Mandi at Smexybooks for showing me the gritty side of Urban Fantasy. Her review of   Spiders Bite by Jennifer Estep caught my eye, and it was one of the first dark UF books that I read. I struggled through the first half of that book, but ended up loving it, and that series is one of my favorites. I think one of things that drew me to Urban Fantasy was that heroines are strong, independent and don't take crap from anyone.


Here are six books/series that I owe blogging a world of thanks for:

*All blurbs are taken from Goodreads.com*
 
Mind Games follows the adventures of Justine Jones, a hopeless hypochondriac who longs to be normal. Instead, she is recruited to join a psychological hit squad in a city terrorized by criminals with strange powers…only to fall for her most dangerous target! 

 Mind Games by Carolyn Crane-I just adore this book. I didn't think I'd like a story about a hypochondriac, but it's so much more then that. This is one of those books that by the fifth review I read where people were gushing about it, I knew I had to put aside my doubts and give it a try. I'm so glad i did! Double Cross, the sequel comes out soon. I can't wait!!

 
  MacKayla Lane’s life is good. She has great friends, a decent job, and a car that breaks down only every other week or so. In other words, she’s your perfectly ordinary twenty-first-century woman. Or so she thinks…until something extraordinary happens. When her sister is murdered, leaving a single clue to her death–a cryptic message on Mac’s cell phone–Mac journeys to Ireland in search of answers. The quest to find her sister’s killer draws her into a shadowy realm where nothing is as it seems, where good and evil wear the same treacherously seductive mask. She is soon faced with an even greater challenge: staying alive long enough to learn how to handle a power she had no idea she possessed–a gift that allows her to see beyond the world of man, into the dangerous realm of the Fae….


The Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning-I found this series through Twitter. Everyone was talking about this series and it didn't take me long to figure out why!! January 18th can not come fast enough!! 



In a place where ecstasy can cost you your life . . .
She's a demon-slayer who hungers for sensual pleasure-but fears it will always be denied her. Until Tayla Mancuso lands in a hospital run by demons in disguise, and the head doctor, Eidolon, makes her body burn with unslakable desire. But to prove her ultimate loyalty to her peers, she must betray the surgeon who saved her life. Eidolon cannot resist this fiery, dangerous woman who fills him with both rage and passion. Not only is she his avowed enemy, but she could very well be the hunter who has been preying upon his people. Torn between his need for the truth and his quest to find his perfect mate before a horrific transformation claims him forever, Eidolon will dare the unthinkable-and let Tayla possess him, body and soul

 Who doesn't love the Demonica Brothers? I found this series through Jo Jos Bookcorner and haven't looked back. These boys are hawt! 

The world is not the way it was. The dead have risen, and the living are under attack. The powerful Church of Real Truth, in charge since the government fell, has sworn to reimburse citizens being harassed by the deceased. Enter Chess Putnam, a fully tattooed witch and freewheeling ghost hunter. She’s got a real talent for banishing the wicked dead. But Chess is keeping a dark secret: She owes a lot of money to a murderous drug lord named Bump, who wants immediate payback in the form of a dangerous job that involves black magic, human sacrifice, a nefarious demonic creature, and enough wicked energy to wipe out a city of souls. Toss in lust for a rival gang leader and a dangerous attraction to Bump’s ruthless enforcer, and Chess begins to wonder if the rush is really worth it. Hell, yeah
If you had told me a year ago I'd love a hero named Terrible and a heroine who did drugs, I'd have laughed at you. This series is dark, edgy and totally addicting.I really wish I could remember which blogger I found this series from because I owe them a world of debt!



It's almost the end of Miranda's sophomore year in high school, and her journal reflects the busy life of a typical teenager: conversations with friends, fights with mom, and fervent hopes for a driver's license. When Miranda first begins hearing the reports of a meteor on a collision course with the moon, it hardly seems worth a mention in her diary. But after the meteor hits, pushing the moon off its axis and causing worldwide earthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanoes, all the things Miranda used to take for granted begin to disappear. Food and gas shortages, along with extreme weather changes, come to her small Pennsylvania town; and Miranda's voice is by turns petulant, angry, and finally resigned, as her family is forced to make tough choices while they consider their increasingly limited options. Yet even as suspicious neighbors stockpile food in anticipation of a looming winter without heat or electricity, Miranda knows that that her future is still hers to decide.. 
I found this book through Andrea the Little Bookworm and am totally in debt to her for showing me that Young Adult books just aren't for Young Adults anymore! This series had me on the edge of my seat! 

 How can a sexy marketing manager join forces with an Alpha Centauri male in Armani to save the planet-using hairspray, a Mont Blanc pen, and rock n' roll? Easy... She's Touched by an Alien. Marketing manager Katherine "Kitty" Katt steps into the middle of what appears to be a domestic dispute turned ugly. And it only gets uglier when the man turns into a winged monster, straight out of a grade-Z horror movie, and goes on a killing spree. Though Kitty should probably run away, she springs into action to take the monster down. In the middle of the chaos a handsome hunk named Jeff Martini appears, sent by the "agency" to perform crowd control. He's Kitty's kind of guy, no matter what planet he's from. And from now on, for Kitty, things are going to be sexy, dangerous, wild, and out of this world.

Touched by Alien by Gini Koch is another book that I kept seeing glowing review after glowing review about. While I love watching Sci Fi on tv, I have problems reading it. This book had me in stiches! I just loved everything about this book. 
There just isn't enough time or space to list all the wonderful books I've discovered through blogging! What are some of your now favorite books that you found through blogging?