Thursday, September 16, 2010

Forgotten Treasure: BBAW Day 4


Todays writing prompt from Book Blogger Appreciation Week is this:
  
We’ve all read about Freedom and Mockingjay but we likely have a book we wish would get more attention by book bloggers, whether it’s a forgotten classic or under marketed contemporary fiction.  This is your chance to tell the community why they should consider reading this book!

I have to admit that I am not one to read non fiction. Last year my Grandma gave me her copy of Left to Tell: Finding God Amidst the Rwandan Holocaust  by Immaculee Ilibagiza and said that I had to read this. She actually gave it to everyone she knew who liked to read. I took it home, and to tell her I had tried to read it, I opened the book. Imagine my surprise when this romance reader couldn't put it down. I was up half the night reading it. I'm not sure if it's because we are the same age and I kept thinking that I was having a good time in college while she was scared for her life or if her story is just that compelling. I think it's a combination of both. This was the first book that I actually felt compelled to review on my personal blog. I just couldn't get her story out of my head. There is a lot of religious talk (is that the right word?) in the book, but it doesn't come across as preachy-it's just how it helped her get through the trying times. I can't recommend this book enough! 

 
Immaculee Ilibagiza grew up in a country she loved, surrounded by a family she cherished. But in 1994 her idyllic world was ripped apart as Rwanda descended into a bloody genocide. Immaculee’s family was brutally murdered during a killing spree that lasted three months and claimed the lives of nearly a million Rwandans.

Incredibly, Immaculee survived the slaughter. For 91 days, she and seven other women huddled silently together in the cramped bathroom of a local pastor while hundreds of machete-wielding killers hunted for them.

It was during those endless hours of unspeakable terror that Immaculee discovered the power of prayer, eventually shedding her fear of death and forging a profound and lasting relationship with God. She emerged from her bathroom hideout having discovered the meaning of truly unconditional love—a love so strong she was able seek out and forgive her family’s killers.
The triumphant story of this remarkable young woman’s journey through the darkness of genocide will inspire anyone whose life has been touched by fear, suffering, and loss. 

(From Goodreads)

So what book is your forgotten treasure?