Thursday, March 25, 2010

Review: This World We Live In by Susan Beth Pfeffer

I hate cliff hanger endings. What happened to having closure at the end of a book? Is it necessary to leave the reader hanging every time???? I almost threw this book across the room the ending bugged me so much.

Title: This World We Live In
Author: Susan Beth Pfeffer
Genre: Young Adult
Sub Genre: Dystopian
Number in series: Book three in the Moon Series
Series discovered through: Andrea at The Little Bookworm


My Synopsis:
This continues the story of Miranda and Alex who we met in Life As We Knew It and the Dead and The Gone. It's been a year since a meteor hit the moon, and though things have changed a lot, Miranda and her family have gotten used to doing without things like running water, electricity and eating three meals a day.  Then one day everything changes. Her dad who left last year with his pregnant wife, Lisa to go out west, has returned with a new baby and three other people-Charlie, Alex and Julie. The dynamics have changed, and Miranda struggles to take in all the changes.

My Thoughts:
When I told my mom I was reading another book in the series that made me want to buy cross country skis she went: "Are you going to stock up on bottled water again?" Me: "Probably."

So many adjectives come to mind when trying to describe this book-gripping, page turner, disturbing, and frustrating. I had so many thoughts swirling around in my head while I read this book. While I didn't love it as much as I did the first one, I still couldn't stop reading it, and the more I read the more I wanted to shout at the characters to stop being so depressing. However, if i lived in the world they did I have to say I'd be as distrusting and as afraid of what was coming around the corner as they were.

I really liked how we saw Miranda mature in this book-she finally gets that there is more to the world then her, though it takes her a while to see it that way. Personally, I could have done without the romances that were in this book. I had a hard time believing that people could fall in love that fast, and I had issues with the way Miranda's family acted to the romances-why couldn't they just be happy for each other? I know the answer to that one, but still! When I got to the end of the book I just wanted to scream-because it left so many unanswered questions. I really hope that there is a book #4!  This book is not a stand alone book, and if you haven't read the other two books in the series Life As We Knew It and The Dead and The Gone, you'll have a hard time finding sympathy for these characters and be a bit lost in the story line.

Sigh Meter: Low
Swoonworthy Meter: Low (Alex is just too young to swoon over!)
Sleep Meter: Medium (It's a fast read and can be read in one sitting.)
Cry Meter: Medium
List Making Meter: Medium. I didn't make as many lists for stuff I needed to buy in this book as I did in the first two, but still made a couple. :)