Friday, March 26, 2010

Review: Double Play by Jill Shalvis

Title: Double Play
Author: Jill Shalvis
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: Pacific Heat #1
Discovered book from: Patti @ the  Book Addict




My Synopsis:
Pace Martin doesn't need distractions right now. He's the star pitcher for the Santa Barbara Pacific Heat's baseball team. He's fighting an injury that could end his career and trying to get the Heat to the World Series. He has tons of pressure on him already, and he doesn't need Holly Hutchinson interfering in his life or career right now. Holly Hutchinson is good at finding secrets. She's a writer for a blog, and knows there is something that the Heat and Pace Martin are hiding-she just has to find it. Pace and Holly are surprised by the attraction they feel to each other. They try to fight the attraction because both have jobs to do and don't want romance to get in the way of their jobs. They also have trust issues with each other-will they be able to overcome the trust issues that come with the secrets that Holly is determined to uncover to find love?

 My Thoughts:
After reading this book I want my own baseball player! I may even be tempted to watch baseball instead of ignoring it like I normally do. This is the first really good contemporary romance that I've read in a long time!I am so glad that Patti over at Book Addict has gone on a sports romance reading kick and found Jill Shalvis. She reviewed the second book in this series, Slow Heat, and it sounded like a great book, but I'm anal about reading series books in order, so I started with the first one in the series, Double Play and have this to say about it: Why haven't I read Jill Shalvis before??

While this book was predictable, it was still a good, fun read-and I found myself laughing out loud a lot. I loved Pace-he was such a nice change of pace for a hero. I kept going back and forth on my feelings for Holly. I really think I would have liked her better if I weren't a blogger (Do people really get paid to blog?) and if she weren't so I don't know, always taking the high road in the name of journalism. Those thoughts aside, I loved this book and can't wait to read Slow Heat, the second book in this series, and I can totally see why Patti over at Book Addict has a thing for sports romances now!

Swoonworthy Meter: Medium High
Sigh Meter: High
Sizzle Meter: High
Sleep Meter: Medium (It almost kept me up past my bedtime!)

Challenges counted toward:


2/10 read












10/25 read