Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Gentlemen Prefer Succubi by Jill Myles


Jill Myles is an author who I've seen all over the place lately, but I first discovered her through Mandi at SmexyBooks. After reading this book, I can see why she is getting so much love. This was just a fun read! How can you not like a book where the heroine is torn between an angel (albeit a fallen one) and a vampire?

The Plot:
 Jackie Brighton is a museum tour guide who finds herself in a world of trouble when she one day finds herself waking up in a dumpster-with no memory of how she gets there.  All she remembers is her one night stand, with the incredibly hot Noah. Things get complicated when she discovers that she is a succubi, and her body changes overnight-she's no longer the plain museum tour guide, but a hot chick who attracts guys like magnets. Jackie tries to adjust to her new lifestyle with her new friend and fellow succubi Remy, and her hot one night stand Noah, who just happens to be a fallen angel. Somehow though, she manages to piss off the Vampire Queen, who retaliates by taking Noah hostage. Jackie can have him  back for a price-all she needs to do is to retrieve an ancient halo-which the good guys want for their own purposes. 

To make sure Jackie gets the halo for her, the queen sends her right hand man, Zane with Jackie and Remy. Jackie isn't prepared for the feelings she starts to have for the hot and sexy vampire Zane. It's tough to save the world when the bad guy is so hot-and maybe not    
so evil.

My Thoughts:
Despite my wanting to shake some sense into Jackie countless number of times, and the fact that she was slightly annoying as a heroine, I really liked this book. I've found that sometimes it's hard to remember that the book I'm reading takes course in a matter of days, so the fact that Jackie kept going on about her new life as a heroine got a little old to me, the reader,  but for the character it's completely normal.  What I liked best about this book was that in most Urban Fantasy books the heroine is so tough that they are almost unlikable. Jackie is just your normal person put into a position that she never expected. It was a nice change of pace.  This book had me laughing out loud at some of her actions-because I could totally see myself accidentally pissing off the vampire queen. Zane and Noah are totally hot, and I found myself having a hard time choosing between them. Remy was such a great sidekick-she was the perfect companion for Jackie.

The storyline moved really fast, and I found myself having a hard time putting it down. I almost forgot-there were some pretty hot smokin love scenes thrown in! I don't want to spoil anything, but this book included stuff about ancient Egypt in it, and I'm a sucker for anything book that has stuff about ancient Egypt in it. :) The ending had me going "You go girl" and "No, I want more..." I can't wait to read the second book in this series, Succubi Like It Hot-I may have break my book buying ban for this book, because I don't think I can wait for my library to get it in. Oh, did I mention that my name was in this book as well? For some reason it was weirder seeing it in this book then in FireSpell, perhaps because it was mentioned more.

Sigh Meter: High
SwoonWorthy Meter: High
Sidekick Meter: Medium (I loved Remy, but she was pretty much it for the sidekicks)
LOLZ Lines: High
Name Shout Bonus: High :) 

Challenges Counted toward: