Friday, February 26, 2010

Some Girls Bite and Friday Night Bites by Chloe Neill

This review is long overdue! I read this book and Friday Night Bites as apart of the group Romance Readers Anonymous that Tasha from Heidenkinds Hideaway and I started in January.  When I ordered this book from Amazon back in September I had never heard of Chloe Neill. The very next day, her name started popping up all over the blogosphere. I then attempted to read Dead until Dark, the first Sookie Stackhouse book and wasn't impressed. During the Read A Thon in October (or was it November?) I read Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs by Molly Harper, and while I liked it I wasn't impressed with it, and said to myself: "I think I'm done with vampires." Then one day in January when I was in the mood for a book that wasn't too long, I took a look at my bookshelf and thought: "this book has sat here much too long" and picked it up. I was up all night reading it! I just couldn't put it down. I was hooked from the very first page.
                                                  

The Synopsis: (From GoodReads)Sure, the life of a graduate student wasn’t exactly glamorous, but it was Merit’s. She was doing fine until a rogue vampire attacked her. But he only got a sip before he was scared away by another bloodsucker—and this one decided the best way to save her life was to make her the walking undead. Turns out her savior was the master vampire of Cadogan House. Now she’s traded sweating over her thesis for learning to fit in at a Hyde Park mansion full of vamps loyal to Ethan “Lord o’ the Manor” Sullivan. Of course, as a tall, green-eyed, four-hundred- year-old vampire, he has centuries’ worth of charm, but unfortunately he expects her gratitude— and servitude. But an   inconvenient sunlight allergy and Ethan’s attitude are the least of her concerns. Someone’s still out to get her. Her initiation into Chicago’s nightlife may be the first skirmish in a war—and there will be blood.

My Thoughts:
I really didn't think I'd enjoy this book as much as I did! I can't remember the last book that kept me up all night long reading it. I loved the pop culture references, and the fact that they didn't over power the book. As everyone knows, I'm totally on Team Ethan. I can't help it-I like the guys who are mysterious, a little jerkish, but who deep down have a good heart. Even though I'm firmly on Team Ethan, Morgan did melt my heart a little.  While Ethan won me over to his side, I admit to having a soft spot in my heart for Morgan and Catcher. I loved how Merit showed him how to eat tortilla chips on sandwhiches-I do that all the time! Catcher is totally uber cool and sexy-too bad he's totally taken. The ending grabbed me so much that I started reading Friday Night Bites right after I finished SGB.

Friday Night Bites-Book Two

The Synopsis from GoodReads:
Ten months after vampires revealed their existence to the mortals of Chicago, they're enjoying a celebrity status usually reserved for the Hollywood elite. But should people learn about the Raves-mass feeding parties where vampires round up humans like cattle-the citizens will start sharpening their stakes.  So now it's up to the new vampire Merit to reconnect with her upper class family and act as liaison between humans and bloodsuckers, and keep the more unsavory aspects of the vampire lifestyle out of the media. But someone doesn't want peace between them-someone with an ancient grudge...

My Thoughts:
While I loved this book as much as the first one, I thought it took a long time for the story to get moving. I think that's because there was a lot of back story to get readers up to date on, and because I read the two books so close together, I didn't need it & just wanted more of Ethan and Merit! One of my favorite parts of the book happened early on and that is when Merit mentions that she thought she would end up teaching in a small town like Eureka or Stars Hollow. How often  is a Sci Fi show mentioned in the same breath as the Gilmore Girls? It made me love Merit that much more-which reminds me-I think I see a lot of Lorelai Gilmore in Merit. Both come from wealthy families, but break away from them when they become too stifling and yet are drawn back into the families when they least expect it. I like how in this book we see a little bit more of Merits world, and why she left it. I admit that I thought I had the ending totally figured out, and was pleasantly surprised when I had it all wrong! The ending totally made up for the slow first half of the book! I immediately thought: Oh no, not a Karen Marie Moning ending! It totally left me with more questions then answers. Before I forget: something tells me that Morgan (who I thought did a lot of whining in this book) and Ethan might have some competition on their hands for Merit in book three....and I think something is totally up with Jeff. I don't think he's the nice guy we think he is. Why can't it be July already? I'm holding my breath in anticipation for Twice Bitten!

Swoonworthy Meter: Super High
Sigh Meter:  Super High
Action Meter: High
Snark Meter: High
SideKick Meter: High
Lol Meter: High