Sunday, February 21, 2010

ARC Review-Heart of Stone By Jill Marie Landis


Confession: When I agreed to review Heart of Stone by Jill Marie Landis, I thought I was getting a historical romance. I was surprised to find out that it was actually an inspirational historical romance. I've never read an inspirational book before and wasn't sure what to expect.  I was pleasantly surprised at how fast the story moved, and while this genre will never be my cup of tea, Heart of Stone was an enjoyable read. This is the first book in the Irish Hearts series.

 
Laura Foster was finally free from a horrible childhood. She had built a new life for herself in Glory, Texas as the owner of a boardinghouse. No one was more surprised then she was when Reverend Brand McCormick started courting her. She's afraid that when Brand and the townspeople discovered her dark past, he'll be ruined. What she doesn't know is that his past comes back and may just threaten to bring him down before her secret is revealed.  A stranger comes to town and threatens to spread Laura's secret. She has two choices: To stay in Glory and fight for Brand and the life she's built for herself or leave Glory forever to save Brands future? The choice is hers to make...

 My Thoughts:
Once I got over the shock of this being an inspirational romance, I really started liking the story. It was a sweet story with a good message-follow your heart, be willing to forgive those who have erred in their ways, and don't let others decide your fate for you. The characters were all likable, and the Reverends kids  made me laugh with their antics. This book is set in the 1800s, and the author stayed true to the dialogue of the time-which was fine, but it was just hard to get used to all those reckons. :) If you're in the mood for something a little different, then I recommend reading this book. 

 Places to find the author:

Sigh Meter: Medium 
Swoonworthy Meter: Low
Number of times Reckon was used: Lost count....

Challenges counted toward: