Wednesday, February 17, 2010

FireSpell by Chloe Neill

I am such a Chloe Neill fangirl that when I saw all the great reviews floating around about this book, I knew I had to read it!

The Synopsis  taken from Goodreads: 

As the new girl at the elite St. Sophia’s boarding school, Lily Parker thinks her classmates are the most monstrous things she’ll have to face… When Lily’s guardians decided to send her away to a fancy boarding school in Chicago, she was shocked. So was St. Sophia’s. Lily’s ultra-rich brat pack classmates think Lily should be the punchline to every joke, and on top of that, she’s hearing strange noises and seeing bizarre things in the shadows of the creepy building. The only thing keeping her sane is her roommate, Scout, but even Scout’s a little weird—she keeps disappearing late at night and won’t tell Lily where she’s been. But when a prank leaves Lily trapped in the catacombs beneath the school, Lily finds Scout running from a real monster. Scout’s a member of a splinter group of rebel teens with unique magical talents, who’ve sworn to protect the city against demons, vampires, and Reapers, magic users who’ve been corrupted by their power. And when Lily finds herself in the line of a firespell, Scout tells her the truth about her secret life, even though Lily has no powers of her own—at least none that she’s discovered yet…

My thoughts:
I hate stealing the synopsis from somewhere, but so much goes on that I don't want to spoil anything for those who have read it yet. This is a YA book, and it has a little bit of everything-suspense, mystery, & romance-but most of all it's a book about friendship. The story started off a bit slow for me, but it quickly built up and the pace took off and before I knew I had finished this book much too soon.There are a lot of layers to this book, and not all is what it seems at St. Sophias. As soon as you think you have everything figured out, something else happens and you're left clueless again.  I loved the role that the headmistress played, and can't wait to find out more about her. Did I mention that one of the side characters is named Colette? Of course, she spells her name Collette, but still-my name is so rarely mentioned in books that I love it when I see it mentioned.  I can't wait for the second book to come out! The best way to describe this book is that it's a combination of Gilmore Girls, Harry Potter and Gossip Girls.

Sigh Meter: Pretty high for book that isn't really about romance
Action Meter: High
Suspense Meter: High
Cool Meter: High


Challenges Counted Toward: