Saturday, October 24, 2009

Take A Chance Challenge Wrap Up



Challenge #7 of the Take A Chance Challenge hosted by the Fabulous Jenners at Find Your Next Book Here was to choose a random Best Seller by: Go to Random.org and, using the True Random Number Generator, enter the number 1950 for the min. and 2008 for the max. and then hit generate. Then go to this site and find the year that Random.org generated for you and click on it. Then find the bestseller list for the week that would contain your birthday for that year. Choose one of the bestsellers from the list that comes up, read it and write about it.

I got the year 1992. I was going to read The Sum of All Fears by Tom Clancy, but the book was so huge that I shuddered everytime I looked at it. It kept glaring at me from my bookshelf (I borrowed my dad's copy of it) saying "read me, Colette, read me Colette..." I tried to, really I did. I made to page 30. Military intrigue just isn't my thing. I looked at the New York times Best Seller list again from the week of August 29, 1992 and found this non fiction book: When You Look Like Your Passport Photo, It's Time To Go Home by Erma Bombeck. Aha! I thought-this is perfect. Erma was a native Daytionian, and it's almost criminal not to have read any of her stuff before.  While my local library may not carry Jane Austen, they had tons of Erma Bombeck books in stock. (She's something of a local legend.) I absoultely loved this book!! It's filled with travel horror stories told in a humorous tone. Whatever could go wrong does go wrong was the theme of the book. It's a bit dated now, but having traveled a lot when I was younger, I could relate to everything she went through. I couldn't stop laughing. If you've never traveled overseas before, and wondered what you were missing, this is the book for you! It's a classic. Two thumbs up!   

I want to thank Jenners for hosting this challenge. I was able to read books that I normally wouldn't have taken a look at otherwise. Thanks also to Heidenkind whom I found this contest through. It was a lot of fun!!