Sunday, October 25, 2009

Read A Thon Wrap Up




This was my first ever Read-A-Thon and I had a great time. Why is though, that I normally have no problem staying up all night, but when I want to do it, I can't? Gotta love Murphys law. Here's what I learned from the Read A Thon:
  • Start with an author you're familiar with. My first book was Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs by Molly Harper. It was a fun read, but took forever. I should have started with a book that I knew would read fast to help me stay motivated-like say a Lord of the Underworld book by Gena Showalter. 
  • Have a few short stories/novellas in your mix. I now know why they encouraged people to have some short stories thrown in the mix. Your eyes begin to fade after awhile, and it looks like you've read more then you really did if you have some short stories in there.
  • Have lots of different genres to choose from. I choose mainly paranormal books for this, and I think I should have thrown in some more contemporary to help motivate me. 
  • Make sure you plan what to watch while reading. I planned lots of good snacks, but forgot about the noise factor. (I have to have some background noise b/c I live by myself & am weird that way.) i was going to watch movies made from books that I had on hand, but soon got bored with that idea.  
  • Next time I'm going to take the time to visit other blogs! I was much too serious about my reading.
Some boring stats:
Number of books read: I ended up reading 2 whole books, read half of 2 others and finished the Take A Chance Challenge!! 
Number of pages read: 798
Start time: 8:00am
End time: 2:30am
Number of breaks: 3
Mini Meltdowns: One. I was upset that I wasn't getting more read, but a sinus headache will do that to you. What helped me was talking to others on twitter & leaving for my moms birthday dinner.
Mini Challenges: I did 2. Next time I'm stopping and taking the time to domore then just the 2 I did, or maybe host one. They were a lot of fun. I even won one! It was this post from a challenge that Nise from t Under The Boardwalk. hosted.
Donations: $30 to the Cindy Houdeshell Morris Scholarship fund at William Carey University. 

Thanks again for everyone who encouraged me to do this and helped me through. Blomie shout outs: (thank you so much Velvet from VVB32Reads for that word. It's like Homie, except we blog so it's blomie. It took me a minute to get it, now I love it!)
Deb from Book Magic

Mandi from Smexybooks

Velvet from VVB32Reads

Jessica from  A BookLovers Diary


A big thank you to the organizers of the Read A Thon!


Eva of A Striped Armchair
Hannah of Word Lily
Nymeth of things mean a lot
Trish of Hey Lady! Whatcha Readin'?