Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The last of my Everything Austen Challenge Reviews



"A girl likes to be crossed in love a little now and then. It is something to think of." -Jane Austen
This seems to be a fitting quote to Mr. Darcy, Vampyre by Amanda Grange-the last book I read for the Everything Austen Challenge hosted by the awesome Stephanie at Stephanie's Written Word.

The cover of the US edition of the book doesn't do the book justice. Out of all the Austen-themed books I've read for this challenge, this one has been my favorite. I've never read Amanda Grange before, and to be honest I was hesitant to read this after a few of the other themed books I read-namely Jane Austen Ruined My Life and Austenland-both of which I didn't really like. This book was different in the fact that it actually featured Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy as the main characters instead of having modern day characters try to be like them. I've been trying to think of adjectives to describe this book-wonderful, alluring, compelling, dramatic, page-turner, but none of them seem to fit. It's just a flat out awesome read.

The book takes place after Darcy and Elizabeth's wedding, and the tale takes a mysterious turn right at the beginning when Elizabeth finds out that they won't be going to Lake District for their wedding tour as planned, but to Paris. On the journey Elizabeth begins to notice that something is wrong with her husband but she isn't sure what. Is it her? Or something else. Readers know why Darcy is acting all mysterious and haughty toward her, but Elizabeth doesn't. Their boat is saved from an attack from another ship when the sailors notice Darcy. While readers can guess the reason why they stayed away from the boat (who wouldn't be afraid of Darcy, the vampire?) the captain of the ship and Elizabeth brush the incident off with everyday explanations.

There are more incidents along the way that are also easily explained away. Phrases spoken that seem a little off, but as the two are traveling through France and Italy can be explained away with Darcys friends not really knowing English very well. I don't want to give anything away, so I'll end by saying I loved Mr. Darcy as a vampire!

Sigh Meter: Low (but I still loved the book despite the lack of sighs.)
You Idiot Meter: High (Sorry Elizabeth, but you had some dumb moments.)


Pride and Prejudice: 2005 movie version with Keira Knightley

I'm going to ma
ke this review short and sweet: I know that Austen purists hated this movie, but as I saw this one before the Colin Firth one, I loved it. Watching it again after re-reading the book, I can see why so many people turned their noses up at it, but it's still my favorite of all the versions that are out there. I just couldn't imagine a better way to end the Everything Austen Challenge then watching one of my favorite movies. (Confession time: I also didn't have it in me to read another Austen themed book. I wanted them to end on a good note, and not I tossed the book across the room note!)


I just wanted to thank Stephanie for hosting this challenge! It's been a lot of fun, and I was able to meet some amazing bloggers. :) I can't believe I finished it!!
Awards:


I've been honored in the last couple of weeks by getting a few awards, and I'm giving them to my fellow Everything Austen Challenge participants & those of you who have left such great comments on my Everything Austen posts-you know who you are-enjoy them, they are for you!!

The Who Loves You Baby! Award is given to those bloggers whom you love and who have awarded you in the past! Pass it on! Thank you Velvet for this award!


The blogger who receives this award believes in the Tao of the zombie chicken – excellence, grace and persistence in all situations, even in the midst of a zombie apocalypse. These amazing bloggers regularly produce content so remarkable that their readers would brave a raving pack of zombie chickens just to be able to read their inspiring words. As a recipient of this world-renowned award, you now have the task of passing it on to at least 5 other worthy bloggers. Do not risk the wrath of the zombie chickens by choosing unwisely or not choosing at all. This was another award from Velvet-thanks again!

Do you reach for a cup of cocoa or tea when your relaxing, seeking comfort, sharing a plate of cookies with family and friends? You know the feeling you get when you drink a yummy cup of cocoa, tea, or a hot toddy? That is what the Hearthfelt Award is all about, feeling warm inside. Thanks again Velvet for this award! I wasn't able to upload the graphic for some reason, but you can find the award on velvet's page.


Thanks again Velvet! These bloggers leave awesome comments – they make you laugh, think, and offer encouragement and support. In other words, they’re freaking awesome.




from me to you bear from Deb from Book Magic Thank you so much!!

If you've made it to the end of this long report, you really do deserve one of these awards! :)