Monday, September 21, 2009

Another challenge!



I know I said I wouldn't enter another challenge, until I finished one of the ones I've entered-but I'm almost done with the Everything Austen Challenge and had to support a blogging friend hosting her own challenge. I decided to go outside my comfort zone a little and enter Heidenkind's Art History Challenge. Here is what the challenge is all about:

The Challenge in Ten Words or Less: Read six art history books in nine months.
When: September 1st, 2009-May 1st, 2010
The Details: Pick a subject related to art you want to read about. It can be as general or specific as you want. Film was included in one of the categories listed so here is my list for the challenge:

1. Digging for the Truth-Who know that my favorite archeologist, Josh Bernstein had his own book, or that his series was out on DVD? I think that his book would be an interesting read.
2. The Forest Lover by Susan Vreeland- From Amazon: Vreeland's subject is the courageous Canadian painter Emily Carr, who traveled through native villages and wilderness of British Columbia in the early 1900s, often alone, on a quest to paint totem poles and other artifacts before the indigenous traditions died out and the poles were destroyed or sold.
3. The Louvre-It's a documentary I found on netflix. Apparently this was the first time the museum let anyone film inside the museum. I've never been to this museum, so this should be interesting!
4. The Thomas Crown Affair- I'm not really sure if this counts, but it is a movie about art..and I love Pierce Bronson in this movie!
5. The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown- Ok, not exactly an art book, but..it is about the Last Supper by DaVinci. I've been meaning to re-read this forever.
6. Luncheon of the Boating Party by Susan Veerland- From Amazon: Imagining the banks of the Seine in the thick of la vie moderne, Vreeland (Girl in Hyacinth Blue) tracks Auguste Renoir as he conceives, plans and paints the 1880 masterpiece that gives her vivid fourth novel its title. Renoir, then 39, pays the rent on his Montmartre garret by painting "overbred society women in their fussy parlors," but, goaded by negative criticism from Émile Zola, he dreams of doing a breakout work. On July 20, the daughter of a resort i
Publish Post
nnkeeper close to Paris suggests that Auguste paint from the restaurant's terrace.