Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Fizzy Thoughts on a Tuesday -BBAW Interview Questions



This week is Book Blogger Appreciation week, and I was fortunate enough to interview Jill from Fizzythoughts. She was super nice and answered all of the (newbie) questions I had about the week as well as our interview questions. I hope you enjoy her answers as much as I did. :) Thank you so much Jill-I had fun getting to know you!

1. What do you like best about blogging?

Even though I started my blog as a way to help me remember and track what I’ve read, I’ve found the sense of community invaluable. I love reading about what others are reading, and finding new-to-me authors. I’ve been fortunate to meet some fellow bloggers in person, and it’s so much fun to sit down and find an instant connection with people who love books (and blogging). I’m not surrounded by bookish people in my life, so blogging has allowed to me to find friends who love books. Also…I still get a little thrill every time someone leaves a comment on my blog.

2. How long have you been blogging?

I started on LiveJournal at the beginning of 2004 (and wow, I didn’t realize that was 5 years ago). I joined LiveJournal with a bunch of fellow BookCrossers, and mostly we just talked to each other via our blogs. In 2006, I moved over to Blogger, because I had some friends in real life that had Blogger blogs, and it was easier than LiveJournal. But it wasn’t until late 2007 when I discovered the book blogging community that my blog took off and I posted regularly, and primarily, about books. I just made my third (and final…I hope!) move to WordPress last month. Luckily, I was able to import my posts from Blogger, so you really can’t tell I’ve started over again.

3. What’s a book or author you found through another blogger that you normally wouldn’t have read?

Oh, there are so many! My TBR pile is no longer just a pile thanks to my fellow bloggers. But one book that immediately comes to mind is Geek Love. I had never even heard of this one until Chartroose mentioned it. And then sent it to me. It’s not for everyone, but it’s a favorite of mine. Also, John Green is a favorite of many bloggers. I never would have picked up his books had I not seen his name mentioned over and over and over again (for very good reason) around the blogosphere.

4. Do you prefer new or used books, or both?

I have nothing against used books (really, I don’t!). I just don’t have the patience to wait for a book I really want to read, so I almost always buy new. Also, most of our local used book shops have gone out of business. When I shop online at Powell’s I do try to get a used copy, if there’s one available. I love Powell’s for many reasons, one of which is that they shelve new and used books together. Unfortunately, they’re way too far away for in-person browsing.

5. Who are your favorite authors?

That’s a toughie! I used to say Christopher Moore, but that was before I read Fool. And I do like Neil Gaiman, but in general I gravitate towards women authors. I can’t pinpoint any particular favorites, though. My reading is pretty all over the place, when it comes to authors.

6. If you could only buy books by one author, which author would you choose?

Oh, that would be a bad, bad day in the world of softdrink (see above answer). Can I just say someone who writes very long books? Maybe that would keep my mind off of all the variety I was missing?

7. Do have a favorite reading spot?

My cushy, over-sized chair and ottoman. This is where I read and blog.

8. Do you read while listening to music or watching tv or does it have to be completely silent?

The tv is usually on, but only because my boyfriend can’t be in the room without turning it on. I’ve learned to tune it out. I used to read with music playing, but I got out of the habit, and now it seems to be a distraction if I’m home alone. Otherwise, I can read anywhere, anytime, regardless of noise.

9. Is a spine broken a sign of love or torture?

Love, with a dash of practicality. I don’t mind broken spines, and I’ve been known to break a few myself. Shhh, don’t tell the book police. Sometimes, it’s just gotta be done…especially with paperbacks that are bound so tight you can’t even see all the words on the page.

10. Dog Eared or book marks?

Both, actually. I love to collect bookmarks as souvenirs of places I’ve visited…but then I forget to use them. I usually end up using scraps of paper as bookmarks. If there’s nothing around, I’ve been known to dog ear.

11. How do you feel about themed typed books? (i.e. What would Jane Austen Do? By Laurie Brown) Are they fun or folly? Or a bit of both?

I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, I kinda feel like the authors are capitalizing on a proven thing, and it irks me that they co-opt another author’s ideas for their own use. On the other hand, I usually end up liking most of the books, and then I feel like a total hypocrite. I just wrote a post about The Magicians, which felt a lot like Hogwarts meets Narnia…and I still can’t decide how I feel about the book. I think I want to be able to say I liked a book because it was original, and I just can’t say that for these books.

12.If you had to choose a fictional boyfriend would it be: Mr. Darcy, (from Pride and Prejudice) Edward Cullen, (fromTwilight) or Dawsey? (from The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society)

It’s going to have to be Dawsey, since I’ve never read Pride and Prejudice and Edward is a bit (okay, a lot) too controlling for me. We’d have issues. But Dawsey…he reads, he writes letters. He has a normal body temp. Since I have Reynaud’s, that last bit is key.

13. Do you have a favorite genre, if so what it is and why?

Literary fiction, because I like a good story with strong characters. Followed by travel memoirs, because I love to travel, but I can’t always do it. Travel memoirs help me feed my curiosity about other places.

14. Random question: Coke or Pepsi?

It used to be Diet Pepsi. Nowadays, it’s water only.

15. FizzyThoughts is such a cool name. How did you get it?

Thanks! It's kinda a long story. My nickname in real life is actually Softdrink. When I first started dating my boyfriend (17 years ago), he was living with a bunch of friends who called him Hamburger. They decided I needed a nickname too. After several false starts (orange soda, root beer) they settled on Softdrink. And it stuck. That's what I used when I first joined a few online communities. But occasionally, the name would be taken (the nerve!). So I started using fizzybeverage as a backup (because soda pop was taken, too). So Fizzy Thoughts is actually a play on my nicknames. And because it’s true…my thoughts can be a little random at times, like bubbles.



Be sure to stop by her site and say hello to Jill! You'll love her blog. :)