Wednesday, September 9, 2009

3 Everything Austen Reviews



I am proud to say that I have finally completed the original 6 books that I choose to read for the Everything Austen Challenge hosted by Stephanie at Stephanies Written Word. Now I just have 6 more to complete for the extended part of the challenge. :)
Review #1: Pride and Prejudice
After reading Jane Austen Ruined My Life, I took a break from all things Jane Austen. That book was just so bad that I needed a break from themed type books for awhile. I went back to the basics. I re-read Pride and Prejudice. This book is truly timeless, and is one that can be read over and over again. Each time I read it I discover something new or look at it from a different angle. Maybe it's because my sisters have both been married just under two years, but the part where Elizabeth Bennet is telling Darcy off for interfering in her sisters relationship when he proposes to her became one of my favorite parts all over again. It's just such a sisterly thing to do. I just love this book. :)
Review #2: What Would Jane Austen Do? By Laurie Brown This book has a little bit of everything: Time travel, ghosts, spies and of course romance.
The plot from amazon.com: Modern-day Regency fashion expert Eleanor Pottinger consorts with ghosts and travels in time in Brown's charming romance. Eleanor discovers her hotel room is haunted by sisters Mina and Deirdre Cracklebury, and she agrees to a deal: she will save their brother, Teddy, from a deadly duel by keeping the wicked Lord Shermont from seducing one of the sisters, in trade for meeting Jane Austen. Eleanor wakes up in 1814, meets smarmy Teddy and is instantly attracted to Lord Shermont, who is not all he seems. Soon she's forced into a terrible choice: Hot sex or the real Jane Austen? True Janeites will find scant evidence of Austen's acerbic wit in either character or tone, but the sprightly humor, handsome hero and twisty ending will please most Regency romance fans.
My thoughts:
Out of all the Jane Austen themed books I've read for this challenge, this one was by far the best. It's a cute, but predictable read. I loved Lord Shermont, and Teddy was such a slimeball that you felt sorry for both the sisters for having a brother like him. Even though this was a fun and enjoyable read, I did have a few pet peeves about the book:
1.)On the back of the book the blurb talked about Lord Shermont being convinced that Eleanor was a spy..and that she thought he was one as well. I might have missed it, but I didn't see anything that pointed to Eleanor thinking he was a spy. (For those of you who have read this, was it in there and I just missed it?)


2.) I was enjoying that the book didn't ask the title question every other paragraph until I got until the last half of the book. It was almost as if the editor said: "Your character hasn't said that line enough" because it was uttered a lot!!!

3.) Jane Austens appearance. I thought it was well, cheesy. I know it's titled What Would Jane Austen Do? but the appearance made in the book wasn't necessary. I thought the book would have been better without it.

4.) Clothing-This is just me being picky, but one of the reasons Eleanor is there is to start her own regency clothing business. When she travels back through time, her clothing magically goes with her-though nothing else does. I thought the whole seamstress thing was just overdone.

I enjoyed the book, but I think it would have been better without the whole Jane Austen thing thrown in.

LOST IN AUSTEN-The Movie

Plot: Amanda Price is your average 20 something women. She has a job, and a boyfriend. When things get bad, she escapes into her favorite book: Pride and Prejudice. Everyone thinks she's hung up on Darcy-but she insists its more then that. One night after reading Pride and Prejudice, she's shocked to see Elizabeth Bennet in her bathroom. She's told that there is a doorway from the Bennets house to her apartment. Somehow she finds herself transported to the world of Elizabeth Bennet. She tries to help the Bennet sisters out, and things start to go horribly wrong with the story.....

My thoughts:
Surprise: I loved this movie! Yes, you read that right. After totally dissing every single Jane Austen themed book I read, I wasn't expecting to fall in love with this movie. In fact, I almost gave up on it. I kept nodding off during the first half of the movie, and was literally 5 seconds away from turning it off when the story started to go awry, and I was like what the frig? (I've always wanted to use that line from Ghost Hunters!) and as soon as the story started going haywire I started loving it even more. I am so glad that I listened to those who said "give this movie time."

This is definitely a new favorite of mine, and it has lol moments like when Amanda goes & makes a whirling sound and says to Wickhams back: "Do you hear that? That's Jane Austen turning over in her grave." This is the perfect movie to watch on a lazy Sunday afternoon.