Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Everything Jane Austen Challenge



I found this challenge through Jenn's Bookshelf. :) Stephanie, at Stephanie's Written Word. The Challenge details are this:

The Everything Austen Challenge will run for six months (July 1, 2009 – January 1, 2010)! All you need to do is pick out what six Austen-themed things you want to finish to complete the challenge. What is considered Austen-themed? Any books that Jane Austen wrote herself or any Jane Austen themed books or movies. I just couldn't resist doing this challenge...
(I am probably over doing it in reading challenges, since I am new to them, but it's been so long since I've challenged myself at reading, this will be good for me!)
____________________________________________________________________

I have to admit when I started researching the different Jane Austen themed books that I could read for this challenge, I had no idea that there were so many different ones out there. I have to admit I haven't had much luck in finding an Austen themed book that I've liked.


The first one I read was Me & Mr. Darcy by Alexandra Potter and I hated it. I guess I should have known when the title started with the grammatically incorrect Me instead of I that I was in trouble with this book.



The second book I attempted was The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Fowler. It got such glowing reviews that I finally broke down to read a few weeks ago. Maybe I'd read too many bad books before it to judge it fairly, but I just couldn't finish the book.


After scouring Amazon this morning, I realize perhaps I was to hasty in that decision...I've decided to take the plunge and discover the world of Jane Austen again. Did you know there was book called Jane Austen and the Navy? It's a non fiction book about how Jane had two brothers in the Navy and what an important part it played in their life. It sounded really interesting until I saw the price ($75.00) and something tells me my local library isn't going to have this one in stock. In my picks, I've decided to add a few extras, in case one of the books turns out to be as bad as Me & Mr. Darcy.

My picks:

1. Persuasion by Jane Austen-This one has been lingering in my tbr pile ever since I saw the movie The Lake House and it had quite a large role in the movie. I knew I had to read the book, but just haven't actually opened it yet...

2. Tea With Jane Austen by Kim Wilson-This book describes the different teas in Jane Austens books. I love tea, so this book sounded right up my alley. I plan on making at least two cups of tea from the reciepes in this book. I can't wait.
3 . Jane Austen Ruined My Life by Beth Pattillo-I loved the name of the book, and the plot sounds interesting.
4. Austenland: A Novel by Stephanie Hale
5. What Would Jane Austen Do? By Laurie Brown
6. Confessions of A Jane Austen Addict by Laurie Viera Rigler-Time travel to a Jane Austin like world? I love a good time travel romance book, and have to give this one a shot!

The Extras:

7.
Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor: Being the First Jane Austen Mystery by Stephanie Barron. I had no idea that there were Jane Austen mysteries! (I really need to broaden my reading genres.)

8.Seducing Mr. Darcy, by Gwen Cready

Two more extras:
I couldn't believe my library had these in it's circulation so I added them as well:

Jane Austen Cookbook and
What Jane Austen Ate and Charles Dicken Knew: life in 14th century England