Saturday, June 27, 2009

What's on your desk Wednesday


I know today's Saturday, and not Wednesday but I had a camera malfunction and couldn't do the challenge until now. In typical fashion I dropped my camera on the way to take the picture of my desk, and it kept saying "lens error." It took multiple times of taking the batteries out to finally get the camera working again.

Here are the rules of this meme, from which I was tagged by Heidenkind.

1. Grab a camera and take a photo of your desk! Or anywhere you stack your books/TBR pile. And no tidying!
2. Add this photo to your blog.
3. Tag at least 5 people!
4. Come back here and leave a link back to your photo in the comments section.

That's it. However, for those without digital cameras or blogs of your own, you can do this instead: (or both if you are keen!)

1. List at least 5 BOOKISH things on your desk (I'm thinking your TBR pile or books you haven't shelved...)
2. List at least 5 NON BOOK things. (I'm thinking some of some of the more unusual items on your desk/table?)
3. Tag at least 5 people to do the same.
4. Come back and leave your link, so we can come and visit your blog. Or add your answers in the comments.

Feel free to grab the above picture to place on your blog - as a way of showing you are participating, and of course to spread the word! Have fun!

I don't actually have a desk..my computer desk is so small that it barely fits my computer monitor and speakers on it, so my coffee table makes do as my desk. Here's a picture of it:





The books:

His Wicked Kiss by Galen Foley-I read this last week, but still haven't put it away yet. Eden was raised in a South America jungle by her father, but wants to get back home to London. But alas, her father, a scientist/doctor wants to stay in the jungle. When Jack Knight appears Eden begs him to let her go with him back to London. He says no. She stowes away on his ship. They fall love. They grow distant. They fall in love again. Not a bad book, but it had super cheesy lines.


The Aporthecary's Daughter by Julie Klassen-I accidentally found this Christian book at the library. I thought it was one of my normal historical romances till I saw the "Christian" tag on the spine of the book when I got home. From the back of the book: It's about a girl name Lily who works in her fathers Apothecary shop and is haunted by memories of her mothers disapperance. She gets an offer to have a season in London and jumps at the chance to go..she can have a chance at love and find out what happened to her mother. (this one is still waiting to be read.)

Touch Me By Lucy Monroe- Thea is raised in the exotic West Indies (yes, I have a thing for exotic places...)and is everything a lady shouldn't be-outspoken, and opinonated. These are two things that make her stand out from the other ladies that Pierson Drake knows. (Because we all know how boring the ladies of the ton are...) They fall in love on the way to London, but both have secrets that threaten to tear apart their love for each other once they reach London. Will their love survive the ballrooms of the ton? I was hoping to recapture magic that I found when I read by Moon Awakening by the same author and failed. It was still a pretty good book from what I remember, but no where as good as the first book I read by Lucy Monroe.

Here Today Gone to Maui by Carol Snow- After the cheesy lines in His Wicked Kiss, I opted for a mystery to read. This was another book I found by chance at the library. When Jane Shea's boyfriend Jimmy invites her to go Hawaii on vacation she doesn't expect for him to go missing. This was a cute, fast read. It's a story that's been done a hundred times before, but the characters while slightly annoying and predictable make for a good time.

Water for Elephants by Sara Guen- I'm re-reading this for a book club I host on another blog site. I adore this book! It's so not my style of literature, but I couldn't put it down. I'm not sure how to describe this without giving away the ending, so I'll just say it's a tale for all ages with many subplots to explore.

Interred with their Bones by Jennifer Lee Carroll-A cryptic clue, a lost manuscript, murders based on Shakespeare's play, a possible Howard plot-what more could you want in a book? Maybe some action? Ok. that's not fair..there is a lot of action, but also a lot of down time..when the action does happen, it's the same-murder, escaping, figuring out a clue to the lost manuscript. I have about 50 pages left to go with this book, and I think it could've ended with 300 pages instead of 400. It's pretty good, and I still haven't quite figured out everything yet, but the storyline is new to me, and I desperately needed a change from romance.

Non Book Items:

1. Can of Coca-Cola. Some people have a beer or a cup of coffee to unwind after a long day work, I have a can of Coke. :) One's almost always on my coffee table.

2. Bath and Body Works Vanilla Noir lotion. I love the smell of this vanilla. I got it for a Christmas gift, and the darker, deeper scents of vanilla are soothing.

3. Flashlight- For Christmas my mom got my sisters and I one of the flashlights that you don't need batteries for. It's pretty darn cool. We've been having a lot of thunderstorms lately, so I've had it handy in case of power failure.

4. Kleenex-Some time during my many colds this winter I found it handy to have a box of Kleenex in my apartment. Out of laziness I've put them on the coffee table.

5. Remote Control-I am in love with my DVR. I don't think I could go back to basic cable...I'd be lost the info and guide keys on my remote.

I didn't tag anyone, as I'm just getting started on blogger...