Monday, October 7, 2013

Rhythm And Bluegrass By Molly Harper



Title: Rhythm and Bluegrass
Author: Molly Harper
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Pocket Star
Number of Pages: 200
Source: Publisher
Bonnie Turkle, multimedia historian for the Kentucky Commission of Tourism, is dispatched to Mud Creek, a tiny eastern Kentucky town, with few prospects but many oddballs, to rescue important artifacts from McBride’s Music Hall. Now fallen beyond disrepair, McBride’s was once a jewel of the early American music scene, an intersection of the country-western and rhythm and blues circuits. The former owner’s grandson, Will McBride, who also happens to be Mud Creek’s esteemed mayor, would like nothing more than to see the place bull-dozed in favor of a factory that will provide much-needed jobs to his citizens. But Bonnie finds evidence of a legendary musical event at the music hall and her plans to turn it into a museum put Mud Creek’s economic future at risk – not to mention the growing flirtation between the two of them. If Will and Bonnie can’t find common ground, the town’s past and future will be lost

I have to be honest, I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. I read this on a rainy day, and it was just a perfect choice to cheer me up. Bonnie was a refreshing heroine. She was full of spunk, not afraid to tell her love interest to shove off or do what she thought was right even if it wasn't the most popular opinion in town.

This is the second book in the bluegrass series, but totally works as a stand alone. After I agreed to read this for review, I discovered it was book two in a series. I attempted to read book one, but didn't like the heroine at all and ended up not finishing it. So I was really kicking myself for agreeing to read a contemporary romance-they so rarely work for me. I'm not sure why, but this one was just as quirky as the first one, but I totally loved it.

Bonnie and Will had me laughing out loud a lot. I loved the sizzle in their relationship whenever they met. You could just feel the heat even when they were just talking-I love that in a romance! While the two aren't in an actual relationship for the book, it just worked well-that surprised me as well, because normally books where they overcome obstacle after obstacle annoy me, but this time around the personalities of Bonnie and Will were so enjoyable that I didn't mind it at all. The secondary characters were all lovable and just as quirky as Bonnie and Will were. I love how the small town of Mud Creek just came alive and made me want to live there.

Rhythm and Bluegrass is just a cute and fun romance that has a little bit of sizzle, a little country, and a whole lot of spunk.