Saturday, March 30, 2013

Review: Pushing The Limits by Katie McGarry




Title: Pushing The Limits
Author: Katie McGarry
Genre: YA/Contemporary Romance
Series: Pushing the limits #1
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Number of Pages: 403
Source: My Copy













Synopsis:
No one knows what happened the night Echo Emerson went from popular girl with jock boyfriend to gossiped-about outsider with "freaky" scars on her arms. Even Echo can't remember the whole truth of that horrible night. All she knows is that she wants everything to go back to normal.But when Noah Hutchins, the smoking-hot, girl-using loner in the black leather jacket, explodes into her life with his tough attitude and surprising understanding, Echo's world shifts in ways she could never have imagined. They should have nothing in common. And with the secrets they both keep, being together is pretty much impossible. Yet the crazy attraction between them refuses to go away. And Echo has to ask herself just how far they can push the limits and what she'll risk for the one guy who might teach her how to love again.


This is the first book that I read for my Lori Foster RAGT Reading Challenge. Pushing The Limits got  a lot of hype when it first came out, and I have to admit I shied away from reading it because
of it. (What can I say? I am a quirky reader!)  Oh, how stupid I was not to read this book before now. It's full of all kinds of goodness, and made me an emotional wreck while reading it! I do believe I was crying almost too hard to read the ending.  My review just isn't going to do this book justice.

Pushing The Limits  is just a powerful story about love, trust, and everything in between. Both Echo and Noah have been through so much, you wonder just how much more they can take. When I started reading it, I had a hard time getting into this book and I thought it was going to be a dnf. Then somewhere along the middle of the book I fell in love with Noah and Echo and their heartbreak and couldn't stop reading.

This book is just unique because while it has all the angst of a YA book, you'd be hard pressed to find any other cliches in it. Echo used to be popular, but isn't and struggles with it. Her friends want her to be popular again, but Echo just isn't sure she wants that. They feel like she's stupid for giving Noah a chance, but Echo is drawn to him and finds they have a lot in common. This is not an insta love kind of book, and the romance builds slowly and I found myself loving this book all the more for that. In most YA books I've read the parents are MIA, but such is not the case here. Echos dad and step mom are overbearing to the point of ridiculousness, but they have some really good reasons to be that way.  There are characters to love, hate and I just couldn't get enough of them all.

This is one book you want to take a chance on.