Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Author Interview with Anya Wylde



Please help me welcome author Anya Wlyde, author of the Regency Mystery/Romance The Wicked Wager to A Buckeye Girl Reads! 



Title: The Wicked Wager 
Author: Anya Wylde 
Genre: Historical Romance 









The infamous rake, Lord Richard Hamilton, has finally chosen his bride—the very appropriate Miss Emma Grey. The ton approves, Lord Grey is pleased, Lady Grey delighted, and Emma is over the moon, but her uncle, (the blasted) Duke of Arden opposes the match, and Emma is ordered to move to the duke’s estate to think things over. Richard Hamilton refuses to take things lying down and concocts a plan. A plan that should have brought the lovers together and had them married within a month. It was a simple matter of masquerading as the duke’s gardener, compromising the lady, and then having the duke rush them off to Gretna Green. Alas, he underestimates the duke’s intelligence and the tangled situation on the estate—never had he imagined that compromising a lady could be so difficult. His endeavours lead to a comedy of errors, charades, and knotty love affairs. Yet he forges ahead in spite of pesky house guests, a flea bitten mattress, his lovesick best friend, and a blackmailer. Just when things seem to be going well, someone is murdered (very inconvenient), and he happens to be one of the suspects (extremely inconvenient). His simple plan for winning the wager suddenly becomes … a tad complicated.


What was the most fun part about writing the book?

Thank you, Colette, for having me on your blog.
I loved writing all the funny scenes. It kept me and my husband entertained for days … and yes, I laugh at my own jokes.

What was the most interesting thing you learned about the time period the book is set in while writing the book?

The women were obsessed with cosmetics and skincare in the Regency era. They were willing to slather arsenic all over their faces just to look pretty. To be fair, some of the products marketed during that time were named and described so wonderfully that had I lived at the time, even I would have been tempted. Gowland's Lotion advertised, "Eruptive humours fly before its power, Pimples and freckles die within an hour."  Now that is marketing genius.

 What was the inspiration for the book?

The farcical plays popular in the regency era inspired me to write this book. I wrote what I liked reading. I love anything that makes me laugh.

How did you come up with the title?

‘The Wicked Wager’ just felt apt. I had originally wanted to name it ‘Softly, softly catchee killer’ but my husband was dead against it. I listen to him sometimes.

What made you decide on this time period?

I love Jane Austen, Wordsworth, Keats, Byron, Bronte sisters, Thomas Hardy… the list goes on. I adore the fashion, literature and architecture of the Regency era. The gothic atmosphere and the undercurrent of supressed passions was a perfect backdrop for my book.

 Do you have a favorite scene you can share with us from the book?

The duke finally spoke,

“ Is this a new fashion in London of eating breakfast? One must no longer sit on chairs but stand on them? And what in the world is Mrs Barker doing…I am a little afraid to ask.”

“A mouse, father,” Catherine replied meekly.

“ A mouse? “ he asked, staring at Mr Barker.

Mr Barker turned bright red.

“ And who was asking for cheese?”

“ The mouse, “ Emma spoke, embarrassed.

“ I see, the mouse was asking for cheese.”

What made you decide to combine a mystery with a romance?

It was the plot that needed both romance and mystery in it. I did not set out thinking that I will write in this genre or follow that format. It was a story I wanted to tell, and in the end it just happened to have both romance and mystery. 

Author Bio: 
Anya Wylde lives in Ireland along with her husband and a fat French poodle (now on a diet). She can cook a mean curry, and her idea of exercise is occasionally stretching her toes. She holds a degree in English literature and adores reading and writing.

Where to find the Anya: Twitter 

Buy Links: Amazon