Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Review: Alien Diplomacy by Gini Koch


 **MAY CONTAIN SOME SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE SERIES UP TO BOOK 4**


Title: Alien Diplomacy 
Author: Gini Koch 
Series: Katherine Kitty Katt #5
Genre: Sci Fi Romance
Number of Pages: 448
Publisher: DAW 
Source: Publisher










 
 Being newlyweds and new parents is challenging enough. But Jeff and Kitty Martini are also giving up their roles as super-being exterminators and Commanders in Centaurion Division while mastering the political landscape as the new heads of Centaurion's Diplomatic Corps. Enter a shadowy assassination plot and a new set of anti-alien conspirators, and nothing will ever be the same (goodreads)





It's no secret that this is one of my favorite series. There are just so many things about it to love. The secondary characters have all become good book friends to me, and I love them all. This series is also amazing with it's continuity. There is so much action going on that it's easy to see how some events or characters would be forgotten or left out, but they aren't. I love how everything is told in such a way where the info isn't dumped on the reader all at once or gets in the way of the current storyline.

Jeff and Kitty are quite possibly my favorite series couple. I love how they are together, and don't spend half of the book apart. Their relationship is normally. They disagree about a lot, but when it matters they know that they are there for each other and that no one else has their heart. Their daughter Jamie is a great addition to the series because it makes Jeff and Kitty that much more real as a couple. They struggle with things that all new parents do. I was really impressed with how I enjoyed seeing their daughter be apart of everything, and didn't take away from any of the dynamics that were in the earlier books. Another thing that makes this couple so real is that Jeff is super jealous of Kitty's best friend Chuckie. There is no love lost between the two. I liked seeing how Jeff and Chuckie have matured and while they will never be best friends, are trying to get along for Kitty's sake.

Alien Diplomacy is full of action, and Kitty as usual is involved in everything. However, unlike other books where she's in charge of everything, this time she isn't and  it's hard for adjusting to her new life and new city. I liked seeing her adjust to this and the problems she faced, because it's stuff that everyone has to deal with.   While it would be nice to see other people in danger or solve things, Kitty is such a kick butt heroine that I don't mind that she is always the one to save the day.

The main problem I had with this book was that there were so many characters that it was hard to keep them all straight at times. I loved the new additions (especially Mr. Joel Oliver) and the return of some of my favorite old characters, but when it came time for the villain to be revealed, I have to admit that I had totally forgotten about that character and couldn't remember what group that the villain belonged to. Despite that though, I still enjoyed the mystery and my theories were dead wrong except for one as to who was behind everything.  As much as I enjoyed this book, there was something missing from it and I can't quite put my finger on it.

This series continues to be one of my favorites and I like not knowing where it will go next. Martini will always be my favorite even if Reader, the Gower Men, Christopher, ACE, Kevin, and even Tito, try to take to his place.


Barrons Hero Hotness Meter:  Super High 
Curran Crush Meter: Super High
Martini Sigh Meter: Off the charts! (It was named after Jeff Martini after all) 
Rhiannon Kick Ass Heroine Meter: Off the charts high 
Finn/Swopes Sidekick Meter: Outrageously high