Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Worst Book of The Year

I was going to do a top 5 list or something of the worst books that I read this year when I realized only one really stood out in my mind as being not so much bad as being a huge disappointment. Sometimes I find that really bad books stick in my head more then books that were just likable. Such is the case with this book.

The other day I left a comment at Heidenkind's Hideaway about possibly doing a post about my least favorite book of the year (perhaps ever) and when I told her the name of the book she said: "You're still stuck on that stupid book?" I said yes, I was still stuck on the damn book because I really thought I would love it.  It had such a great premise. It had all the ingredients to make a great paranormal romance: A  Highlander. Time Travel. Ghosts. A Curse. I mean really, how can you ruin a book that has all of those elements? Well this book did. I read the sequel to this book first, and was a bit lost, but enjoyed it so I picked up this book with high hopes. Oh, the disappointment.

I read this book before I started blogging,  and it's one of the few books to ever get a one star from me. As one of my friends on GoodReads put it: "The one thing that killed me about this book was that the hero and heroine may have exchanged a total of ten sentences throughout the entire book, and yet they fall in love. Argh, it was stupid. But it had some fun sexy scenes, which was the only reason I finished it. It's a fluff read, that is for sure." I couldn't agree more! My review of the book was this: I love romance novels. I love paranormal romances. That being said, this had to be one of the stupidest, pointless paranormal romances I've ever read. The plot was all over the place, and it never really explained anything in depth. I actually liked the side characters better then the main ones. That being said, I read the second book in this series and enjoyed it much more then this one. 

After I re-read my review, I looked at others on GoodReads & Amazon, and I seem to be in the minority of those who didn't like it. Don't you sometimes wonder if you read the same book as those reviews? So, are you curious as to what my least favorite book of the year was? Without further ado, here is my least favorite book:


 The Plot from Goodreads:
Tour guide Mara MacDougall stops at a London antique shop-and spots perhaps the handsomest bed ever. Then she bumps into the handsomest man ever. Soon Mara can't forget the irresistible-if haughty-Highlander. Not even when she learns that she's inherited a Scottish castle. Spectral Sir Alexander Douglas has hated the Clan MacDougall since he was a medieval knight and they tricked him into a curse-the curse of forever haunting the bed (the very one that Mara now owns) that was once intended for his would-be bride. But Mara makes him feel what no other MacDougall has-a passion that he never knew he'd missed.

Final Thoughts:
If you're in for a quick fluff read without much substance, then this is the perfect read. :)