Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Review: Deadly Chemistry by Terri Anne Stanley

I can't believe how long it's been since I've written a review. I really don't know what happened to my review mojo. I promise to be better! I think I'll have to do a hit or miss post to catch up on all the reviews I haven't been doing!


Title: Deadly Chemistry
Author: Teri Anne Stanley
Genre: Romantic Supsense
Publisher: Entangled Ignite
Number of Pages: 195
Source: Netgalley
Former undercover cop Mike Gibson has been lying low, working as a maintenance man to put his troubled younger brother through college. But when a beautiful scientist enlists Mike’s help to repair the damage done to her lab by a group of vandals, Mike finds that his, and his brother's pasts, are about to be brought to light. Laura Kane was happy having a secret crush on the hot maintenance man at Tucker University, but when the drug she was studying is stolen, Laura has a chance to get to know Mike in person. The problem is, he seems to know more about what's going on than any maintenance man should. But then the drug turns up in the wrong hands, and Mike and Laura have to decide if their own chemistry will help, or hinder, the race to save innocent lives

                                          
I was so excited to read this book because I met the author at Lori Foster's Reader/Author Get Together, and then I found it was a romantic suspense and got super worried because we all know how well romantic suspense and I get along. (We don't.) I have to say, for a debut book, this was really good and I can't wait to read more by this author.

I have to admit I was really surprised at how much I ended up liking this one. The heroine, Laura was normal, strong and independent. She had a lot of chemistry with Mike, and I liked how he was sort of undercover as a janitor and not something more glamorous at the university and how that didn't stop Laura from being attracted to him.

The mystery was a little easy to figure out, mainly because there weren't that many characters, and I didn't want to believe the character who everyone was blaming for was responsible. :) However, despite that I loved watching everyone else figure out who did it, and that also surprised me because I normally hate it when I figure out who did it before the main character does.

This book was also a turning point for me, because after I read it I started reading more contemporary romance and mystery books. If I can read those, then there is hope for me yet with the romantic suspense genre!