Monday, July 1, 2013

Playing The Part by Robin Covington





Title: Playing The Part
Author: Robin Covington
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Number of Pages: 175
Publisher: Engtangled Brazen
Source: Publisher














Synopsis:
The harder they play . . . the harder they fall.
After publicly self-destructing over a heartbreak a year ago, bestselling romance writer Piper James is now making nice with her publisher by agreeing to teach Hollywood's favorite action star how to act like he's in love. Only playboy Mick Blackwell has no clue what love looks like.  When a seductive heat ignites between Piper and Mick, she jumps at the chance for a bit of fun between the sheets, but with two stipulations: she's kept out of the public eye and things end when she returns to New York. Only Mick keeps changing the rules on her. Tempted by America's favorite bad boy, Piper is wondering how far she's willing to bend...



I've got to be honest. I have no idea why I agreed to review this one because we all know my track record with contemporary romances: it's not good. However, I am a sucker for a story line with a hollywood actor and throw in a  romance writer and you have me sold on the plot.  I was a little worried when I started this one because the formatting on the e-book I had was so bad. I swear my kindle fire hates books that I've converted into mobi format!  However, once I started reading this one I couldn't stop and the bad formatting didn't even bother me at all after the first chapter. It was just that good. 

This novella had great chemistry between the main couples, the sex scenes were smoking hot and I loved that despite the need a fan hotness of the book, the plot never wavered and was strong throughout it.  Piper was my favorite type of heroine-strong, independent, yet vulnerable at the same time. I loved that she knew she wanted Mick and wasn't afraid to go after him-on her own terms. I also liked that he accepted her terms, but then the table flipped and he was the one changing the rules trying to convince her to stay with him just a little longer. 

To use one of my favorite terms, this book was just sizzling hot and had a little bit of everything. The hero, Mick Blackwell was just swoon-worthy and an instant book boyfriend. I loved that he was bi-racial. You just don't see enough of that in romance novels.  I loved watching him fall for Piper because he was just so not used to being the one going after someone. 

The secondary characters were just as wonderful as the main characters Piper and Mick. There was Lincoln, Mick's tortured singer best friend roommate (I would love a book with him in it!) and Chris, Piper's gay best friend who I loved because he stood by her and had his back no matter what. I just wish the secondary characters had a bigger role in the book!  

The only problem I had with the book (and it was slight) was that instead of describing that Piper had downtime with Mick (i.e. cuddling on the couch, talking about random stuff) that the actions would have been shown instead of just talked about after the fact, because I would have loved to have seen that side of Mick. 

All in all Playing the Part is a great summer read and I can't wait to read other books by Robin Covington.