Thursday, July 25, 2013

Fifth Grave Past The Light By Darynda Jones


Title: Fifth Grave Past The Light
Author: Darynda Jones
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: Charley Davidson #5
Publisher: St Martin's Press
Number of Pages:  339
Source: Publisher











Charley Davidson may not look like your everyday, run-of-the-mill grim reaper, but she has vowed to reap grimness wherever she goes despite this unfortunate fact. Sadly, she gets sidetracked when the sexy, sultry son of Satan, Reyes Farrow, moves in next door.

 As he is the main suspect in her arson case, she is determined to stay away from him until she can find out the truth. According to her therapist, however, she lacks conviction. When dead women start appearing in her apartment - lost, confused and terrified beyond reason - Charley has no choice but to ask for Reyes's help, especially when it becomes apparent that her own sister Gemma is the serial killer's next target.

With his ability to observe incorporeally, surely he can find out who's responsible. And even if he can't, he is the one man alive who could protect Gemma no matter who or what came at her. But he wants something in return: Charley. All of her - body and soul. And to keep her sister safe, it is a price she is willing to pay…


This review is long overdue. I'm not sure why, but I had a hard time putting into words how much I adored this book and love this series. I just have one word to sum up this book: Reyes!!! We see so much more of him in this book, and I loved it! I also love how vulnerable he makes Charley. She is so attracted to him, yet at the same time is worried because of all the things that could go wrong with her being with him because of who he is.  I would say more about that, but I don't want to ruin it for those who haven't read the series yet.

I have to say that the Charley Davidson series is one of the few series that just gets better and better with each book. I love how no character is forgotten, and even while their appearances may be small, they are still there. Old favorites like Swopes, Cookie and Charley's Uncle Bob are still a huge part of the story and I love how they almost steal every scene they are in.  

As much as I love the humor in the story, Charely's penchant for naming everything (even her couch has a name) but her nicknames for her boobs drives me nutso. I mean, I can see why she named her boobs, but it really throws me off when she and Reyes are in the middle of a hot (and I do mean hot) sizzling scene and she refers to her boobs by their nicknames-Will and Danger Robinson. It just throws me off and almost ruins the scene for me, and I'm not sure why because the nicknames she has for everything else don't bother me nearly as much.

All and all though  this series is one that is a must for all Urban Fantasy fans. You have a drool worthy hero, a kick ass heroine and secondary characters you want to be best friends with.

Edited to add: I had a  fangirl moment when I met the author at Lori Fosters Reader/Author Get Together in June. I was the girl holding up the line with all four books (in hardcover) for her to sign. I literally heard groans behind me when I got them out for her to sign. I couldn't help it-I'm a Reyes junkie and proud of it!