Friday, May 17, 2013

Real by Katy Evans



Title: Real
Author: Katy Evans
Genre: New Adult/Contemporary Romance
Series: Real, Raw & Ripped #1
Publisher: Katy Evans
Number of Pages: 266
Source: My Copy 













Synopsis: 

A fallen boxer.
A woman with a broken dream.
A competition…
He even makes me forget my name. One night was all it took, and I forgot everything and anything except the sexy fighter in the ring who sets my mind ablaze and my body on fire with wanting… Remington Tate is the strongest, most confusing man I’ve ever met in my life. He’s the star of the dangerous underground fighting circuit, and I’m drawn to him as I’ve never been drawn to anything in my life. I forget who I am, what I want, with just one look from him. When he’s near, I need to remind myself that I am strong–but he is stronger. And now it’s my job to keep his body working like a perfect machine, his taut muscles primed and ready to break the bones of his next opponents . . .
But the one he’s most threatening to, now, is me.
I want him. I want him without fear. Without reservations.
If only I knew for sure what it is that he wants from me?




Confession: I have no idea why this is considered a New Adult book when both the main characters are out of college and one has a masters degree. To me, this was an adult book with adult situations even though it did manage to read a bit like a young adult book. This is one of those rare books that I both loved and hated at the same time.


Reasons why I loved it: 


  • Remington. I am a sucker for a tortured alpha male, and Remington tore my heart out. 
  • Brooke-She had friends!! Friends who didn't disappear! She was a lot naive, but strong at the same time. I loved how she became stronger as the book went on.
  • The Romance-I liked how they didn't rush into things and that Brooke was the one ended up wanting more. 
  • Chemistry-You could feel the sizzle between Remington and Brooke. I loved it when they played each other music from their ipods. 

Reasons why I didn't love it: 
  • Contrived Drama: About halfway through the book a character shows up just to cause trouble and I believe to be a character in a future book. This made the ending pretty predictable and honestly, thought the story could have done without the conflict it caused. 
  • Unprofessional Work Ethic:  I've got to be honest here, I don't know why it bugged me so much that there was a romance between a boss/employee when I normally eat it up. To give Brooke credit, she does try to fight it, but fails miserably...however, I think what annoyed me the most is how shocked she is when other coworkers try to talk her out of the romance.
  •  Belivability:  The biggest trouble I had with this story was I had trouble believing that an underground boxer could make so much money or have such a big following. 
  •  Rushed Ending: I felt like I needed more closure because the drama happened so fast that there was barely time for a H.E.A. 

This is the third or fourth New Adult book I've read, and I've got to say I'm not entirely sold on the genre yet. It just makes me feel old for some reason!