Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Love Bites by Cari Quinn

Title: Love Bites 
Author: Cari Quinn 
Genre: Erotica/Paranormal Romance
Publisher: Decadent Publishing 
Source: Publisher 









Vampire Kellan Barstow is tired of watching his best friend Lucas Phillips pine after his one true mate. Though he’s jealous that Lucas found his before he found his own, he wants him to be happy and hopes to spur him on to make a move toward his chosen human, librarian Emily Yost. But Kellan’s sick of Lucas's moping and decides one thing will convince Luke he needs to act now. Sleeping with another woman. Except when Kellan and Lucas sleep with Sydney, a woman Kellan has flirted with for weeks, things quickly spiral out of control. Because Sydney may be more than merely a woman, and Kellan’s feelings for her soon go way beyond desire. Before long, Kellan and Sydney and Emily and Lucas are caught in a dangerous web of lust and love. And this love may do more than bite, it might end them all.

Cari Quinn is one of my favorite contemporary erotica romance authors, so when I saw that she had a paranormal romance out, I knew I had to try it. I'm glad I gave it a chance, but I have to admit, this is not one of my favorites by Cari Quinn. Love Bites is very different then her contemporary erotica romances. The passion there, and the strong and independent characters are still there, but something was missing with this one. 

This is a novella, so everything happened really fast, and normally this doesn't bother me, but I think that between the world building and relationship building  all of the wonderful emotions that I have come to expect from this author were missing from this one. Sydney and Kellan both had a lot of chemistry and as always the sex scenes were well done and hot, but I could not connect to them as a couple.  I think it was because I really liked Lucas and Emily somehow wanted the four of them together instead of as separate couples as crazy as that seems. 

While this one wasn't for me, I enjoyed the risks that were taken with it. I always like it when authors try something new, even it doesn't work for me.