Friday, April 19, 2013

Review: Bella Summer Takes A Chance by Michele Gorman




Title: Bella Summer Takes A Chance
Author: Michele Gorman
Genre: Women's Fiction
Number of Pages: 297
Publisher:  Notting Hill Press
Source: Publisher












Bella's career and relationship are her life's foundationwear: not glamorous and perhaps a bit binding, but supportive enough... until she realizes that they are not enough. Her life is sagging badly. She's never been in love with her boyfriend, despite a decade together. And somehow she stopped being a musician-with-a-day-job and became a consultant-who-was-musical. So she takes a terrifying leap of faith, leaving her relationship and resolving to follow her musical dreams no matter what. Unfortunately, the life you walk away from doesn't always let you walk away. With a wonderfully warm and witty cast of friends, all navigating between their ideals and the realities they face, together they'll find out what love and compromise really mean in this empowering tale about grasping life with both hands.



I have to admit, I was surprised at how much I liked this one. Normally, I stay away from books that are realistic, but I had heard such good things about Michelle Gormans other books, that I decided to take a chance on it. I'm glad I did!  It did take me awhile to warm up to Bella, but I think that is because she doesn't go by Bella in the book~all of her friends call her B.  Once I warmed up to her, I really liked how she struggled against what was safe and what her dreams were. How many of us have gone through that same thing in life? 


What surprised me the most though is that I loved how realistic this book is. Bella struggles with the decisions she has made, and eventually decides to follow her dreams despite what everyone else thinks. I loved that she did this on her own, and while she tries to find Mr. Right, I love that her career choices are done all on her own without the help of others.  I just loved that this book  isn't all about romance and it's about B discovering who she is and that she alone has the power to change her fate. Bella Summer Takes A Chance is one of those books that I'm so glad I took a chance on and I can't wait to read more by this author. 

Colette's note: Sorry for the small font again-I fixed it. I swear blogger hates me.