Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The Twisted Tragedy Of Miss Natalie Stewart by Leanna Renee Hieber


 Title: The Twisted Tragedy of Miss Natalie Stewart
Author: Leanna Renee Hieber
Genre: Young Adult/Steampunk 
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire 
Number of Pages: 332 
Source: Netgalley    






  





I'm coming for you.

The whispers haunt her dreams and fill her waking hours with dread. Something odd is happening. Something...unnatural. Possession of the living. Resurrection of the dead. And Natalie Stewart is caught right in the middle. Jonathon, the one person she thought she could trust, has become a double agent for the dark side. But he plays the part so well, Natalie has to wonder just how much he's really acting. She can't even see what it is she's fighting. But the cost of losing her heart, her sanity...her soul.


This is one of those books that I wanted to love so much, but just couldn't. This is the first book by this author that I haven't adored to pieces. I loved the first book in this series Darker Still, because it was so original.  This one was equally original, but I just had trouble with and I think it's confirmed that Steampunk just isn't a genre for me.

 I loved the romance between Natalie and Jonathon, Lord Denbury and loved it when they were together. However, he disappeared for a lot of the book, and for me the story didn't have the same spark without him and Natalie together. The medical mystery sub plot of this book just wasn't for me. I found myself not really caring what was going on, and really wanted to skip to the end to see how Natalie and Jonathon were able to defeat the bad guys. I didn't though, and stuck with the story and am glad I did. There were a few twists and turns I didn't see coming, and the ending caught me off guard.  

The writing as always as it is with Leanna Renee Heiber was beautiful and haunting, but there was just something missing from this book that was in the first one, and I'm still not sure what it was.  I am curious to see what happens in the next book though, and can't wait to see what adventures await Natalie and Lord Denbury next. Lord Denbury is one of my favorite YA heroes and I will read anything with him in it. :)