Saturday, January 5, 2013

Her Highland Champion by Alexa Bourne



Title: Her Highland Champion 
Author: Alexa Bourne
Genre: Romantic Suspense 
Publisher: Decadent Publishing 
Number of Pages: 180 (ebook) 
Series: Honor Guard #1
Source: My Copy














 

Heather Winchester leads a charming life. With good friends, a beautiful flat in one of the most amazing cities in the world, and a promising future once she finishes her Ph.D, she is finally pursuing her own dreams instead of catering to everyone else’s…except she doesn’t remember any of it. Malcolm Fraser has returned to his Highland village to forget his failings as a professional bodyguard. Believing he could just lose himself in the mundane activities of running his bed & breakfast, he finds a woman’s lifeless body by the loch instead….Captivated by Heather as she regains her memory, Malcolm is thrown into the line of duty. As danger comes knocking on their doors, will he be strong enough to love her and keep her safe?




You know those books you buy and you aren't sure why you did? That's how it was with Her Highland Champion for me. I normally stay far away from these types of books, but one night I was sick and wanted a quick, fast read that would have a happy ending. I found this on my kindle, and decided to take a chance on it. This book totally exceeded my expectations. I adored it. It's one of the few romances I've read where I had a content sigh on my face at the end of the book instead of feeling cheated that the intrigue took precedence over the romance.  


Heather and Malcolm totally won me over because they were, well pretty normal for a romantic suspense novel.  They both had issues, but for some reason it didn't bother me like it normally does in these types of books. Everything just well, worked great and didn't feel cheesy or added on just to have the obligatory break up scene.  Heather was just a nice heroine. I liked how even though she was recovering her memories, she wasn't a victim, and didn't rely on Malcolm for every single thing. I loved how Malcolm fought his feelings for her, and didn't want to take advantage of her since she didn't have her memories. 

Honestly, I think that what I loved most about this book is that the two actually spent time together, had tension, delightful banter, had just enough mystery to keep me guessing and was just all in all a delight to read.  This book was a great way to start off the new year!