Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Review: A Royal Pain by Megan Mulry



 Title: A Royal Pain 
Author: Megan Mulry 
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Number of Pages: 338
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca 
Source: Netgalley






 


Bronte Talbott follows all of the exploits of the British royals. After all, they're the world's most preeminent dysfunctional family. And who is she to judge? Bronte's own search for love isn't going all that well, especially after her smooth-talking Texan boyfriend abruptly leaves her in the dust. Bronte keeps a lookout for a rebound to help mend her broken heart, and when she meets Max Heyworth, she's certain he's the perfect transition man. But when she discovers he's a duke, she has to decide if she wants to stay with him for the long haul and deal with the opportunities-- and challenges-- of becoming a royal.


 I love all things surrounding the British Royalty. I'm not sure how or why this love affair started, but it's here and when I saw the blurb I thought it would be love at first sight. The first 20% of the book was a royal love affair. I loved that Bronte knew what she wanted, and even though I thought she was a bit stupid for moving to another city for a guy, I could see why she did it for Mr. Texas.  When she meets Max, I was enamored. Bronte tells him flat out that she was just getting over a guy, and wasn't really ready for a relationship. Max tells her he's getting ready to get his doctorate and  will be leaving the States soon for England, and he doesn't want anything serious either. I loved how their relationship progressed and I was fully behind this romance. 

Then about 20% into the book the "we can't be together because happened. I wasn't quite expecting that so early in the book, and for the next 20% the book faltered between being a chick lit book and a romance.  Now I love Chick Lit, but I just wasn't prepared for that mesh of genres. I kept waiting for the romance to happen again, which it did about 45% through the book-right when I was about to give up on the book. What got me was that the two were apart for a year with very little communication, and after about two dates she goes to England with him. Now Max is a hottie, and I could totally see why Bronte would go to England with him after being apart for a year she realizes that she made a huge mistake in letting him go.  I just had trouble getting back into the romance part of the book after so much of the book was about Bronte's personal growth.  

Once the romance started again, I was able to get back into the book but the ending made me want to toss my kindle across the room. I just felt like it was so cliched, and didn't do either of the characters any favored. 
*spoiler* (to see highlight over this part)   Bronte gets pregnant, and I felt like Max became a controlling jerk. 
*end spoiler*  I had 97% left to go and honestly, I almost didn't finish the book. I did finish it though, and honestly I'm still surprised that I had so many mixed feelings about this book. I felt like it should have been a guaranteed love fest, and it just fell short of that.