Thursday, October 25, 2012

Review: Howl by Cynthia Rayne


 
Title: Howl
Author: Cynthia Rayne 
Publisher: Ellora's Cave
Number of Pages: Ebook 
Source: Sent by author 






 


 

To escape madness, Scarlet Rhodes made a magical pact to serve as a blood slave and sexual plaything to Hayden, a powerful vampire. But while Scarlet is a treasured pet, she’s never captured his heart. When Hayden bids her to sexually service a handsome werewolf named Rand Stamper, she finds herself falling for him. In and out of bed.
Rand has come to Fairfax Manor to secure the southern hunting grounds for his pack, but finds himself distracted by the vampire’s blood slave. Their passion is undeniable, and he has the urge to take her with him and make Scarlet his own.
Seeing his sexy human slave with the swaggering wolf awakens feelings for Scarlet that Hayden wasn’t even certain he was capable of anymore. But he can’t blame his pet. Despite the unfamiliar feelings of jealousy, he finds himself drawn to the wolf also. If he plays his hand right, in the end he might be able to keep Scarlet and the werewolf for himself.




This was a great short read. Even though this was just five chapters, it had a lot of twists and turns that I didn't see coming. I loved the tension between Rand, Scarlet and Hayden.  While I had trouble connecting with Rand and Scarlet, mainly because the romance happens so fast, I loved the dynamics between Rand, Scarlet and Hayden. I know it seems weird that I had problems with one part of the romance, and not the other but I did. 


I enjoyed that while this was a vampire and werewolf story, it was different then most that I've read. I loved how Rand was trying to protect his pact, and that Scarlet knew what she was doing when she got involved with Hayden. This was just a refreshing read and perfect for when you want something hot, but don't want to spend all week reading it.