Monday, October 15, 2012

Review: First Frost by Liz DeJesus


Title: First Frost 
Author: Liz DeJesus 
Genre: Young Adult/Fantasy 
Publisher: Musa
Number of pages: Ebook 
Source: Sent by the publisher 



Bianca Frost doesn't believe that fairy tales are real. Even though she and her mom run a museum that is dedicated to artifacts that come from fairy tales. Bianca thinks that they are all fake.  Sure Cinderella's glass slipper is cool,, and the evil queen's magic mirror from snow white is freaky, but she thinks that they are all just good replicas from the stories told in Grimm's fairy tales.   Bianca resents the museum because ever since her dad disappeared she and her mom have been the only two to run the museum. Bianca thinks the rule that only family members run the museum is pretty stupid.  That is until magic happens in the form of an evil witch bent on destroying her mom. Bianca then learns the secret of her family and that she has powers. But before her mom can train her, she's captured by the evil witch. Bianca and her best friend  Ming take off to find her mom-which isn't easy because they are in a different realm.  The two have some help along the way by way of a Prince Ferdinand  who isn't so charming and his assistant Terrance.  


What I loved most about this book was that Bianca was such a normal teenager! She and her friend Ming are there for each other, and I loved her when things got tough they both knew each others breaking points. I also loved how the romance in this book was gradual and I loved that it surprised me .  The setting of the fariy tale realm was great-I loved how there wasn't a lot of info dumping and I felt like I was experiencing it with Bianca and Ming instead of being confused. While I thought the parts of the book where a tad unbelievable, most of the book had me cheering Bianca on.  The ending made me think that there is a possibility for a second book, and I really hope that there this!  I really look forward to reading more by this author.