Saturday, October 13, 2012

Mystery Man by Kristen Ashley


Title: Mystery Man
Author: Kristen Ashley
Genre: Romantic Suspense
Series: Dream Man #1
Publisher: Self
Source: My copy












Wowsza. This was  a hot book. I am about to say something I don't think I've ever said before on this blog: I loved this romantic suspense novel!! No one was more surprised then me when I devoured this book. I really don't know what possessed me to read it because it's really not my style of book. However, it came highly recommended to me by Bells and she is the best romance book pusher I know, so when she said I'd like it, I took a chance. I am so glad I did.

Gwen is having a night out with her friends when she sees this super hot guy. She hooks up with him and takes him home with her. When he keeps coming over to her house, she knows that she should tell him to stop-she doesn't even know his name. However, every time she attempts to stop these night time visits, she can't because his kisses are just that good.  When he finally makes a day time appearance, she's shocked and a little annoyed. She's annoyed because he immediately wants to protect her from a bad situation, but she thinks that she can handle just fine without him, and the fireworks begin!

Hawk is up there in Barrons territory when it comes to male alpha-ness. He's just hot and protective. He doesn't like it when things don't go his way. Gwen is the opposite of Hawk. She's as girly as they come, and makes it known loud and clear that even though she's going through some major shit with her sister, she doesn't like Hawk's high handiness.

Gwen was a breath of fresh air as far as heroines go. She was sassy, bossy and altogether wonderful. I loved how she had a group of friends that were there for her, and that one of them made it known that they weren't happy with her dating Hawk. I also liked that the friends didn't disappear when Gwen and Hawk got together and that he had to deal with them in her life.

While Gwen is the most normal heroine I've met in a romantic suspense novel, she doesn't have a perfect life. She has a sister, Ginger who gets into some serious trouble. When Gwen tries to figure out what happen, she finds herself in deep, deep trouble. The leader of a biker gang, Tack, takes an instant liking to her and this just means trouble. I LOVED Tack, and can't wait for his book. I liked that he had Gwen's back and wasn't afraid to let Hawk know he was after her. Then you have Detective Mitch Lawson, who meets Gwen after her house is broken into because of her sister. He also vies for Gwens attention, but the poor man doesn't really stand a chance. Even though all these guys like Gwen, this isn't what I would call a love triangle. Gwen makes it clear from the get go that she's into Hawk, despite his alpha male moodiness & bossiness. The guys get this, but as they are alpha males, don't give up all that easily and let Hawk know that if he messes up they are there to take his place.

This book had everything in it that I hate-extreme situations that really aren't believable, like Gwen's house being firebombed, her being kidnapped, and the obligatory we can't be together because of x, y, z, but you know what? All those things worked in this book. It helped that Gwen was tough, but when things got tough she turned to Cosmos and Cookie Dough. She wasn't a woe-is-me-kind of heroine either, and I loved that.

The secondary characters in this book were just as awesome as Gwen and Hawk. Elvria, who is Hawks secretary, is bossy, nosy, lol funny and all around wonderful. Gwens friends Tracey and Camille, were equally as great. I loved how the next characters in the series were introduced, but didn't take over the romance being told to have their story set up. 

When I was halfway through this book, I immediately bought the other books in this series, because this book was just that good. I have to admit, I'm still in shock that I loved this book as much as I did. I don't feel like I did this book justice with this review, and I didn't include the synopsis in this review like I usually do because I felt like it gave too much away.

Barrons Hero Hotness Meter: Super High
Curran Crush Meter: Super High
Sizzle Meter: SUPER HIGH
Rhiannon Kick Ass Heroine Meter: Super High
Finn Sidekick Meter: Super High
Double Cross Curse Meter: High (there were times I wanted to knock some serious sense into Gwen & Hawk)