Thursday, August 2, 2012

Coveted by Shawntelle Madison


















SOMETIMES WHAT YOU COVET IS IMPOSSIBLE TO KEEP.
 For werewolf Natalya Stravinsky, the supernatural is nothing extraordinary. What does seem strange is that she’s stuck in her hometown of South Toms River, New Jersey, the outcast of her pack, selling antiques to finicky magical creatures. Restless and recovering from her split with gorgeous ex-boyfriend, Thorn, Nat finds comfort in an unusual place: her obsessively collected stash of holiday trinkets. But complications pile up faster than her ornaments when Thorn returns home—and the two discover that the spark between them remains intense. Before Nat can sort out their relationship, she must face a more immediate and dangerous problem. Her pack is under attack from the savage Long Island werewolves—and Nat is their first target in a turf war. Toss in a handsome wizard vying for her affection, a therapy group for the anxious and enchanted, and the South Toms River pack leader ready to throw her to the wolves, and it’s enough to give anybody a panic attack. With the stakes as high as the full moon, Nat must summon all of her strength to save her pack and, ultimately, herself.


I discovered this book while I was at the Lori Foster Reader/Author get Together in May. I am so glad I happened to stop at the authors table because I fell in love with the world that Natalya lives in.   



I liked Natalya right off the bat. She isn't your typical heroine and has a lot of problems and issues that have made life tough for her. She's not on the best terms with her family, and she never got over her break up with Thorn, who just happens to be next in line to be alpha of her former pack. 


What makes this book different then others is that it deals with Natalya's disorder and how it effects those around her.  It's easy to see how her compulsion started and grew out of control. She works at a place that sells antiques, and I admit that I wanted to work there with her.  I liked how even though she works hard to get her obsessive collection under control, it doesn't quite happen. There were points in the book where I really felt bad for because she was trying so hard to be what she considered normal. 


There is a slight love triangle in this book, but I loved how it didn't take over and consume the story. It takes a back burner to Natalya, and I have to admit I found myself really liking Thorn. He's your typical alpha with out being typical if that makes sense. Like Natalya, he has his own issues to deal and tries his best to handle them. I liked that he fought for Natalya and didn't give in to what others wanted. 


The only problem I had with Coveted was Natalya's family treated her so badly that I didn't understand why she constantly put herself in danger to defend them. I felt like they didn't deserve her loyalty & dedication to them. However, that's part of what made this book great~the realness of all the characters involved.  
This series is one for the keeper shelf.