Thursday, April 19, 2012

Catch Me A Cowboy by Katie Lane


Title: Catch Me A Cowboy
Author: Katie Lane
Genre: Contemporary Romance/Western
Series: Deep In The Heart of Texas #3
Publisher: Forever
Number of Pages: 328
Source: Sent from Publisher






Shirlene Dalton has it all: a dream marriage to a man who spoils her rotten and the most outrageous mansion Bramble, Texas, has ever seen. But when her husband unexpectedly dies, Shirlene finds herself right back where she started-in a rundown trailer on the wrong side of the tracks. Never the type to let a little bad luck and a whole heap of heartache get her down, Shirlene is ready to prove to the local gossips she can make it on her own... until she ends up living next door to the most tempting cowboy in town.Billy Wilkes has a score to settle and a plan to wipe Bramble right off the map. But when his sexy, redheaded neighbor figures out what he's up to, his good ol' boy charm won't be enough to save him. With the town on his tail, Billy will have to come clean quick -- or kiss Shirlene goodbye


Finally a Contemporary Romance that I could get into! I had a hard time putting down and  loved this book to pieces. I know, I'm shocked as well.  I feel in love with Shirlene and Bubba (Billy) from page one. Both have such dynamic personalities that it was hard not to like them. I mean, how many heroines do you know have a pet pig? Ok, she was pig-sitting for one of her friends, but still I loved that pig almost as I did the main characters.

Shirlene is one of those rare heroines in a contemporary setting that didn't annoy me to death. She has lots of spunk and attitude. I loved how she was down to her last penny, but didn't settle for less. She and Billy had such chemistry together that you could feel it flying off the pages.  Normally I don't like kids in my romances, (I'm quirky that way) but the ones that Shirlene helps out are scene stealers.They were easy to like, and made me realize that Shirlene had a more caring heart then what I first thought. 

Aside from the kids, the townspeople where hilarious. I loved how Kenny Gene was trying to become a deputy and kept spying on the people the town thought were out to take advantage of Shirlene. I was dying when the town decided that Shirlene was going to have to marry one of the guys they thought she had a thing for.  Shirlene and the rest of the town used a lot of what I call countryisms and when the first sentence of the book was this: "Whoever came up with the saying you can't go home again was loonier then a snakebit coyote." I almost stopped reading right there, because in the last Western Romance I read the countryisms took away from the story, but in this one they just worked and had me laughing out loud a lot.


I didn't know it, but this was actually the third book in the series. I thought it worked well as a stand alone, and while the other character make appearances and are mentioned a lot, it doesn't take away from the romance or story in Catch Me A Cowboy. I loved the town so much in this book, that it makes me what to go back and read the first two books in this series. I really am surprised at how much I loved this book and I can't wait to read more by Katie Lane.

Curran Crush Meter: High 
Barrons Hero Hotness Meter: High 
Martini Sigh Meter: High 
Sizzle Meter: High 
Swopes/Finn Sidekick Meter: Super High 
Cookie/Swopes Lol Meter: Super High