Saturday, March 10, 2012

Review: Deep Dark Secret by Sierra Dean



Title: Deep Dark Secret 
Author: Sierra Dean
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: Secret McQueen #3
Publisher: Samhain Publishing 
Source: My Copy






Secret McQueen has hunted vampires, werewolves, and every conceivable supernatural menace-to-society. Seen it all? Not even close. When the queen of the were-ocelots comes to her for help finding a missing girl, the half-vampire/half-werewolf soon realizes how much she has to learn about the things that go bump in the night. The case of the missing cat is one thing. Pile it up with her new duties as a Tribunal Leader, her tenuous position as mate to the king of the Eastern werewolves, and a slew of new (and unwelcome) supernatural abilities, and Secret is once again in familiar territory. "Way" over her head. But for this multitasking half-breed, it's business as "un"usual.What knocks her for a loop, though, isn't her lover's intoxicating kiss. It's the missing memories rushing at her from out of nowhere, signaling a rapidly approaching fork in her destiny. Her choice will affect not only her life, but her love.Warning: Contains a werewolf king with wandering hands, a creepy English professor with nefarious plans, and one hell of an unexpected gala evening at Columbia. (goodreads)

Nobody writes love triangles better then Sierra Dean. Nobody. In honor of that I have written a few letters to the members of the triangle to tell them why they are or aren't my favorite. :)

Dear Lucas,
I know that you are an Alpha male, and honestly you should be my favorite. I have a thing for jerkish alpha males. You are the king of a large territory of the werewolves, and can hold your own with Secret. However, you made me slam my kindle, Martini down on the table and exclaim: "My part of the love triangle isn't going so well." to my parents whom I was staying with at the time and both looked at me like I was crazy. They told me to go onto twitter to talk about my woes. Thank goodness Bells from Hanging With Bells was around to sooth me. You had my heart twisted in knots. I'm not sure I'll be able to forgive you for the pain and almost heart failure you caused to me and Martini. However, it was nice to see more of you in this book, and I like how you keep Secret on her toes.

Not a fan-

Colette

Lucas sidled up to me, and though my heels gave me a slight advantage, I still needed to look up to see his smile. Funny how his silly grin could light a spark inside me, even when I was worried I might start biting people any minute.




Dear Holden,
 I know that you are a vampire and think that you know Secret pretty well because of it.  I should also really like you because you are smug, yet caring. However, until this book you were the one part of the triangle I disliked the most.  However, you now have some company in the dislike area. I really hate how you try to make me like you. Every now and then I will find myself going: "Now I know why Secret likes him" luckily though, those feelings don't last very long and I am reminded why you are dangerous half (or is it triad?) of this triangle. I'm not sure I'll be able to forgive you for making me like you just a teensy, tiny little bit in this book. Because of you, Secret hunted down a missing college girl. I enjoyed the mystery of figuring everything out, and I have to admit I was so wrong about everything, even when it was staring me in the face. The mystery introduced us to Gabe, the idiot who broke Secrets heart. The introduction to new characters was nice, even though it made me scream in frustration a few times.

Still not a fan (but maybe getting an inch closer to one)

Colette
"Looking for the bedroom?" he asked, giving me a sly smirk. :Yeah. Where do you keep your coffin? Or are you strictly a black-satin-sheets-on-a-four poster-bed kind of cliche?" :Are you asking for an invitation?" his grin faded and he gave me the once over, his gaze trailing and lingering the way some men might use their hands.





Dear Desmond,
Be still my heart. Words can't say how much you are my favorite of this love triangle. You understand Secret like neither Holden or Lucas do. You are there for her when she needs you to be, no matter what. You make me sigh, and even though you are just second in command to Lucas I think you are totally enough of an Alpha to be with Secret. She needs someone to bring out the softer side of her that is hiding. I liked how you were there to help her out instead of just waiting around twiddling your thumbs. I really enjoyed it when you gave Lucas a chewing out when he needed it. You are one of the rare nice guys that I find myself cheering for.

Love always,

Colette

" It's different, though. Because I love you and you love me. We never realized how much human emotion would fuck this whole thing up. It's hard to be analytical when you're in love." 

That is why I am:


Barrons Hero Hotness Meter: Super High 
Curran Crush Meter: Super High 
Martini Sigh Meter: Super High 
Sizzle Meter: High 
Rhiannon Kick Ass Heroine Meter: Super High 
Finn/Swopes Sidekick Meter: Super High 
Double Cross Swear Meter: Super High  
and introducing the:
Desmond Lickable Meter: Super High (Thanks to Julie from Yummy Men & Kick Ass Chicks for giving me the idea to have this meter after reading her use of the term in a blog post.)