Thursday, February 16, 2012

Review: The Riddles of Hillgate by Zoey and Claire Kane


Title: The Riddles of Hillgate
Author: Zoey & Claire Kane
Genre: Mystery 
Series: Zoey & Claire Mysteries #1 
Publisher: Breezy Reads 
Source: Sent from authors

 




 Zoey is known around her town of Riverside for making bad decisions when it comes to auctions and real estate investments. When her savvy daughter, Claire, learns her most recent purchase is eighty acres on the haunted, desolate side of town, she is simply flabbergasted. This purchase soon reveals some hidden inconveniences, like—murder, skeletons, secrets, and the riddles of Hillgate Manor. 
 

The Riddles of Hillgate was just a fun read. I enjoyed it because it was an over the top, slightly crazy mystery. I loved the mother daughter team of Claire and Zoey. They reminded me so much of my mom and I. Claire kept me laughing by second guessing her mom's decision, and how surprised she was when her mom was right about something.

The mystery surrounding Hillgate was fun, and even if it was a bit unbelievable that they turned the mansion into a running hotel in a short amount of time, I loved that part of the book didn't drag on forever. The mystery itself was one surrounding the house and it's former occupants. It had a little bit of everything: murder, the possibility of ghosts, and a lost treasure. Figuring out how everything would come together was the best part of the book for me. Fans of mystery books might solve the case a little sooner then I did, but I enjoyed how there were a few twists and turns that I didn't see coming that made my theory of what happened to the former owners of the house totally wrong. 

The cast of characters was great-aside from Zoey and Claire there were the hotel guests, a town that reminded of Stars Hollow (Gilmore Girls) where everyone knows everyone and what they are doing and when it happened, and the romantic interests of both Zoey and Claire. 

The Riddle of Hillgate is perfect for when you are looking for a fast read that is light and entertaining. I can't wait to read more adventures of this mother and daughter team.  I am thankful for twitter for finding this read for me!