Sunday, January 29, 2012

Review: Perigee Moon by Tara Fuller



 Title: Perigee Moon
Author: Tara Fuller 
Genre: Young Adult/Paranormal
Publisher: Crescent Moon Press 
Number of Pages: E book 
Source: Requested review copy :)





After a horrific fire claims the life of her mother, seventeen year old Rowan Bliss finds herself in the miniscule town of Ipswich, Massachusetts. It’s here that she meets Alex, a deliciously mysterious boy who holds the key to unlocking her family’s dark secret.As Rowan falls helplessly over the edge for Alex, the secrets that he insists on keeping refuse to be contained, and the truth that she uncovers challenges everything she has ever believed. Alex is a witch. And now he’s awakened something within her she never even knew existed. But out of all of this, the one thing Rowan won’t accept is the fact that Alex is destined to die. Now Rowan must unearth the buried power she harbors within to escape a deadly prophecy, defy the very laws of time, and prevent the hands of fate from taking yet another person she loves.


When I saw that Perigee Moon was about witches I knew I had to read it. I am so grateful to the author (who I follow on twitter and is a lot of fun) for giving me a copy of it to read for review. It was a lot of fun to read. This book has a little of everything: mystery, romance, a spunky heroine, and most importantly: a swoon worthy boy.
 
 Rowan is not a perfect heroine and I adored that about her. She has had a trouble past, and unlike in a lot of books,  it wasn't forgotten and swept under the rug. It's something that she deals with every day, and I love how her grandparents and best friend Bevin are always checking up on her to make sure everything is ok.  The friendship that Rowan and Bevin have is one of the best things about this book. Even after Rowan moves, the two keep in touch. I really liked how Rowan knew there would be heck to pay if she didn't get back to Bevin to let her know things were still alright with her.  The friends she makes in Ipswich, Paige and Tyler were equally as great as Bevin.  They pester her and make her do stuff with them to show that they care about her just as friends do in real life.

The romance in Perigee Moon between Alex and Rowan was really sweet. At first I thought it was a bit crazy that Rowan could just fall for him with one look. When Rowan made a comment along those lines I knew it was going to be fun seeing how Rowan and Alex finally got together. While I figured out the mystery behind Alex pretty early on, I enjoyed watching Rowan work things out to get it. One thing that impressed me was that all the questions I had about Alex during the first half of the book were answered by the end of it.

Perigee Moon wasn't what I expected and I loved how different it was from other paranormal young adult books that I've read. I was really hoping that there would be a sequel to this book, but sadly there is not.):


The Logan Cougar Meter-Medium
The Denburylicious  (from Darker Still by Leanna Renee Hieber) Crush Meter: Medium
Caleb (from Unearthly by Cynthia Hand) Sigh Meter: High 
The Tris (from Divergent by Veronica Roth) Heroine Kick Ass Meter: Medium 
The Secondary Character Meter: High